Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

server load - > a ?!? top process

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mahdionline, Nov 17, 2004.

1. mahdionline

mahdionline Well-Known Member

Hi

While processing, the cpu has been maxed out for more then a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of
    this email is 12:02pm up 2 days, 1:03, 0 users, load average: 4.82, 4.75, 4.73

and in top of our process :

./stealth 82.78.39.226 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999

what's this process ?

Regard

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Looks like a DOS hacking tool. You should be able to find it (if it's still running) quickly with:

lsof | grep stealth

Then kill off the running process, move the file from wherever it is and investigate how your server was breached - most likely through a vulberable perl CGI or PHP script.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mahdionline

mahdionline Well-Known Member

one of my friend check our server and say to me :

It appears your've been compromised through /dev/shm, however it appears to be an apache exploit, and not root level. I was unable to find the aforementioned "stealth" file on your system.

what's the /dev/shm ? and what is different between apche exploid and root level ?

and how can I check more about this ?

Regard