The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Load getting high because of exim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmughal, Dec 31, 2004.

1. fmughal

fmughal Member

I had a problem with a server its load was increasing like crazy, I ran fixeverything which took a very long time and after it fixed all quotas than the server load came down from 70 to 0.5 and than again from 0.5 to 75 . All this happened in just a 10 minute interval.
    Then I checked email queue which contained around 3500 emails in queue I deleted all messages, but nothing happened, I really don't know wat to do can please anyone help me :mad:

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

You could have anything from a spammer to an exploited server to an open relay, etc. Its really hard to say with the information you've provided. My advice, contact your server provider if they offer managed services, otherwise starting looking for a system admin that knows the ins and outs of the software and OS that you can trust. Alot of them are available for on call jobs. Just be prepared to shell out anywhere from 65 - $150 per hour ( remember, in most cases, you get what you pay for ).

3. octeto

octeto Well-Known Member

Try

tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog

and

netstat -na |grep :80 |sort

check if there are some unusual activity or one IP is sending spam or has multiple connections open. You might block this IP using

iptables -I INPUT -s IPnumber -j DROP ***to block
    iptables -D INPUT -s IPnumber -j DROP ***to deblock

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You definitely need to secure your server and stop mail flooding ASAP. If you need more help, let us know.