The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server load out of control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by woochoo, Oct 27, 2008.

1. woochoo

woochoo Registered

my sites have been fine for3 months and nearly the same traffic throughout. 3 days ago my sites were on and off and my sites error messages said that their was too many mysql connections. I have gon through and delited some suspicious files and one of my page was causing the site to not load for anyone that went to that page. After they went to it the site would not load anything for approx 30 min.

I did a trojen scan and it found 6 possible torjens. I downloaded them and took a look at the code and only 2 of them had a cPanel comment message at the top. One was in a folder named "cron.daily" and was named "logrotator". It sounds suspicious to me but I don't want to rick killing my server by deleting what my be important files.

When I turn my sites CMS of so that it only shows a line of text on each page the memory, mysql processes, and CPU go down several hundred %. Then when I activate one of my sites after 30 minutes the CPU and all that go up several hundred percent.

When I look at the current CPU usage it shows this hundreds of times.

Code:
    /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -k start -DSSL 
    I am in urgent need of help.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If the site in question is poorly coded and pounding the server you might find more help at the support site for your CMS. Mods or hacks on the site would be my first place to look.

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Every page is cached, using ACP, for 1 hour after it is first loaded to cut down on mySQL queries.

I think the problem is solved for the most part though. My friend took a look into the raw access log for my main site and found that the same IP address was loading many different pages many times per second. I banned the IP from my cPanel and my CMS backend and my load is very slowly decreasing now. We looked up the IP and it was a confirmed proxy.

I don't know I am allowed to post the IP but I think it would be helpful for others to block as well. If it is allowed let me know and I will post it.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    No need. There are more IPs than you can block that'll be back again at some point. If you don't use it already, you might want to take a look at this.
    http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html