The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Load Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lappy512, Jan 2, 2006.

1. lappy512

lappy512 Member

The server load in cPanel...what exactly does it report? My host bluehost keeps on telling me that I'm going 40% of 4 Opterons, while I don't think I am. I point out that cPanel's server load says it's around 1-2, and they say that a server load of 1 means 100% of one CPU is being consumed, but I've always had the impression that 1 means that 1% of 1 CPU is being consumed, and then 400 means that 100% of all four CPU's are being used...please correct me if I'm wrong, or clarify...Thanks.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. lappy512

lappy512 Member

Thanks for the help. I guess there's no way to monitor how much CPU consumption I'm using (at least myself), so I'll have to work with my host about that. I'm using a forum software with 150,000 page views last month, and I don't think that should cause any problems. Otherwise I'll look at a VPS like spry.com's VPS.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it! :)

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's practically impossible to give an overall figure on how much resources one particular user is consuming because of the way the many different daemons (especially apache) charge their resources to the server. It may well be that the load that your pages/scripts are putting on the shared server are causing performance issues, but even then that might simply be due to poor resources being available in the first place (i.e. under powered server).

ATEOTD, if your host thinks it's down to you, then you're better off moving and a VPS is a good first step to your own server.

5. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Off topic but helpful
    At the end of the day...

If anyone is having trouble with Jonathan's acronyms then at Acronym Finder you can search for upto 2,961,000 acronym interpretations.

:)

#5 Izzee, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  6. lappy512

lappy512 Member

Thanks, Izzee.

When my scripts supposedly go overboard, every single page becomes a 302 redirect to here: http://box53.bluehost.com/highload.html

The CEO said it was 40%, when I called his cell phone (I had to search on the internet to find him)

but it says:
    * Your site has used more than 20% of the cpu.
    * Your account has too many processes running at the same time.
    * Your site was consuming too many resources. This happens on occassion to very busy sites that have inefficient scripts running.

Also, he said that they were discussing with cPanel about licensing their script that auto-shutdowns sites that use too much CPU.

Yeah, I'm thinking of using spry, because they are near 50% of my users. But, my ads don't make me enough money per month (even though I get 150,000 page views/mo), to pay for VPS.

7. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Are you using bluehost?

If so have a read of this search result for them over at webhostingtalk.com
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?searchid=299051
    They seem to have mixed results with their support being the major bone of contention.

If you are looking for a VPS I highly recommend PowerVps. They have cPanel and WHM which can help you enormously to understand your VPS and its load issues.

powervps.com are excellent both in support and features plus they manage the VPS for you. My belief is they are better value overall than most VPS out there. The features they included for free also make this a value VPS provider.

You can sell some hosting space to improve your cash flow. Give free ad sponsored hosting to improve your ad revenue. The possibilities of improving your bottom line should be quite evident if you explore the details of running a VPS over being in a shared hosting situation.

quantact.com have a cheaper starting price structure but their VPS are unmanaged and of lower specifications which could pose a problem for you. They also use a generic control panel I believe.

Price may be an issue but in the case of VPS you get what you pay for.

All this is only my opinion of course and should not be construed as a sales pitch as I have nothing whatsoever to gain in doing so but you may have ;).

Good Luck!

:)

8. lappy512

lappy512 Member

Yep, I explained that in my first post.

I've been with bluehost for 1 1/2 years, I joined when they only had four servers, now they have 50+ servers. They seem to be the only host with PHP installed as a CGI, instead of mod_php.

I've just about decided on spry, one plus is that spry offers 25% discounts on their VPSes bi-monthly on WebHostingTalk, so it will be overall cheaper. And also, I may have stated earlier, that most of my forum members are in the same area as spry. That's a Plus. And saying that the VPS is $30/mo or $25/mo/year, it's a fairly good deal.

Unless there's something really convincing about PowerVPS or Quantact, I think I'm going with spry.

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's a handy site - expect more acronyms :p