The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Load

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netlook, Apr 12, 2004.

1. netlook

netlook Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello,

Can someone explain me (and others :) what exactly the "SERVER LOAD" is? Shoul it be under 1 or there are no problems when it becomes maybe 10. How high it can be to make everything working properly?

Does it make any sense to reduce the server load for eg. by upgrading to 1GB of Ram? I have many sites using MySQL.

Regards,
    Tom

2. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

3. netlook

PartnerNOC

Thx

But I didn't find the asnver for the question about memory - so should I upgrade memory? Would it change anything?

4. matt621

matt621 Well-Known Member

for the amount of ram, just run top from the command line and look at your swap file. If it's 90% used (less than 10% free), then you need more ram.

I've been told "consistant server load over 1 indicates you need more machine or less load." The key words being "consistant load."

5. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    RAM is one way to solve the problem and it sounds like in your situation it might work. Another thing you can think about is optomizing your system which can help out ALOT.

Your loads may jump above one temp but if they stay very close to or above one you should think about doing something to make your server faster.

6. netlook

PartnerNOC

What do you mean by "optimizing"? Shoul I tweak something in cPanel (some minutes ago I disabled EXIM STATS LOGGING or simmilar), clean up the httpd.conf or maybe something else?

Being honest - Im simple new in your huge admin familiy, so because are my questions :)

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Tweaking and optimizing a Server is an Art and a Science. There are lots of variables to consider such as; hardware available, what's running on the Server, what software is being used, settings for Apache/PHP/mySQL, etc.

Server Load should normally be under 1.00 with bursts of up to 3.00 when certain maintainence software is being run. A consistant load (more than 30 - 120 minutes) of over 1.00 is bad and should be corrected. If consistantly over 3.0 then there is a serious problem that should be immediately diagnosed and corrected.

BTW, a Control Panel can do some minor tweaking or optimizing, but is not the place you really want to do it from. One needs to work directly with Server files for best results.