The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Logs in CPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jkrusick, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jkrusick

jkrusick Member

Hi: While developing .pl scripts and testing them, I often come up with the below error screen. As stated : "More information about this error may be available in the server error log." Am currently using CPanel Build 8.5.5 Release #20. I get the following answer from the ISP "you should be able to see it in the control panel under server". No matter how deeply I go into the menus, cannot find anything relating to Servers that gives me a dialog box or even a pointer to a place where I can look at the server logs. Am I screwing up somehow?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Joe Krusick

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

What you want to look at is just called "error logs". Depending on how the server is set up, they may show error codes, or they might just say there was an error and be useless.

3. jkrusick

jkrusick Member

Couldn't agree more - it looks as though the Host figured that a WebSite didn't need the Logs. There's only two entries for logs under the Access Menu Item 1) Raw Access Logs and 2) Raw Log Manager. The included a couple of perl programs to download the manager data, but it puts it in a DOS.com file that won't run. What a crock, but thanks for your reply. And the Host Webmaster is of no help at all, now and then they make a terse reply, that is nebulous at best. I wonder if they ever really looked at the Cpanel they furnished the Web Users.

Joe Krusick

4. JonL

JonL Registered

By renaming the .com log file with a .txt extension you will be able to access the file normally :)