The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Management .. Staff Trust Issues

Discussion in 'Security' started by myBox, May 8, 2010.

1. myBox

myBox Active Member

Hi,

I am seeking advice from other companies that have a solution for such problem.

Problem:
    I have few cpanel servers and currently managed my me the owner. I have installed monitoring and security tools and notification stuff etc..
    now we have grown and I cannot manage everything myself and I personally cannot trust anyone with root access to customer servers.

I am afraid of staff abusing their power on the servers intentionally of accidentally.

outsourced support is not an option. I am planing to hire a dedicated server admin / tech support person.

Question:
    what solutions or scenarios available to resolve this issue in cpanel servers farm. is there a way to give staff admins and tech support ppl access to the servers so they can help the customers and give technical support but with limited access.

My Thoughts:
    no SSH access at all. limited WHM access via reseller account and assign all account to this account. but if there is a reseller account they cannot control it. also if we have more than one employee, this gets complicated.

another option is to give the staff normal user cpanel access and if the issue cannot be resolved the staff escalate the issue to me and I take care of it.

I appreciate your input and thought regarding this matter.

regards.

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Well you are going to have to make a choice here ...

Either you are going to have to start learning to trust your staff or you are going to have to expand own your personal capabilities so that you are able to multiple the work that you are able to do more efficiently.

Otherwise, I think your company has reached the end of the line.

Essentially same thing but okay :rolleyes:

If you can't trust your staff you got other issues anyway ....

However if you want to create a multiple tiered support escalation then I would recommend making most of your client owned by a reseller account that will serve as your support login and limit access to SSH which would allow lower level support to answer tickets and perform standard WHM or Cpanel functions and not necessarily need user's login passwords but at the same time be restrictive on the server.

Correct. For any reseller clients, support would need their login information in order to service them per what I said above but it is really the only workable (albeit inefficient) route to doing what you ask.

That is kind of what I said but from a "reseller" take on that.

No you wouldn't. My first impulse to be honest is to slap you silly! :p

I understand the worries and concerns and those are perfectly natural but at the same time you are by your own worry setting yourself on a collision course for an abrupt and inevitable end to your company not only because of limiting yourself to growth but also because of the internal politcal and psychological factors as well.

Where do you plan to be a year from now with your company?

How far do you plan to go with your company's future?

What happens if, far be it, you actually continue to expand?

Do you see where I am getting at?

Keeping and maintaining security and control is important but the other side of that coin being able trust the people you work with and being able to handle your customer's needs is all just as equally important and you are going to find a center point someplace in between those two extremes if your company and business is to have any future.