The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

server messed up...BIG time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phantom, Jul 8, 2003.

1. phantom

phantom Well-Known Member

Hi,
    One of my clients messed up his server REAL bad. None of the services work. Cannot restart anything. Cannot use any /scripts/

When I try any /scripts/ command via SSH I get.

"Segmentation fault"

Any ideas?

He said he installed an RPM and that is what caused it.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. DSD

DSD Member

Disclamer - I'm not a cpanel expert!!

does anything work? I used to get segmentation faults all the time, but they didn't bring down the server. Are you able to go into WHM and uninstall the RPM? I got the impression that segmentation faults are pretty generic errors.

You should probably submit a ticket.

3. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

I had exactly the same problem over the weekend! After hours of trying this and trying that and even getting the data center to replace the RAM, I found the solution! A posting on the Rackshack forum suggested that it a CPanel update for RedHat 8 included some invalid RPMs in the update package that could mess up one's server. I have not found no confirmation this side of the fence though.

The solution is to reinstall the glibc and glibc-common RMPs. When I tried to do it through WHM, the installation of glibc failed every time with an SSHD error. I then went to SSH and manually installed it from there. Everything started to work again immediately :)

Phantom, I hope this solves your embarrassing problem.