The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server migration.. Back up WHM settings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hbidad, Feb 11, 2006.

1. hbidad

hbidad Well-Known Member

I am moving our data from one server to another. How can I back up WHM settings (packages and features) or is this even possible to do by themselves? Possible to at all?

2. 24x7team

24x7team Well-Known Member

If you have Cpanel on both servers, everything is backed up along with all the settings in the trasfer while you initiate....

[Moderator: please don't advertise outside the Ads & Offers forum]

#2 24x7team, Feb 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2006
  3. hbidad

hbidad Well-Known Member

Well, here is my strategy plan:

backup and restore each account and change the dns setting on the old server to point to the correct IP of the new server. I do not have many accounts on the server and people want to start the move at different times for the coresponding account. Some of these have a high traffic message board that they would like to shutdown while we back up and restore to keep the database updated.

Once all accounts are migrated, I will then switch the the nameservers and allow them to propagate to the new server before pulling the plug.

However, I am just looking for away to backup the WHM packages/features from the old to new. This will save me plenty of time instead of recreating them for new users accounts.

4. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

If you use the "Copy multiple accounts from another server" option in WHM you can transfer all Accounts as well as all Packages at the same time.

This will save you time in recreating any packages on the new server if they are both cPanel servers your using..

5. drhamad

drhamad Member

I actually just did this - having a problem though, with MySQL:

6. hbidad

hbidad Well-Known Member

I tried the Multi account transfer but did not select all accounts. This did not copy the packages for WHM.

I manually copied the packages/features over ..

[/var/cpanel/packages]
    [/var/cpanel/features]

7. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

You have to choose the individual packages from the list to have them copied over also, its not done automatically.

drhamad try restarting Mysql, if you still have the issue then open a ticket with your cPanel provider or cPanel directly for further assistance.