The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Migration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fkatzenb, Feb 6, 2011.

1. fkatzenb

fkatzenb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I could use some experienced wisdom on this.

ServerA (leased) is my cPanel server w/ two ns servers. I am realigning my business and I am moving to a fresh ServerB (colo) w/ its own ns servers. I want to migrate all the accounts, however I want to do it slowly to test and ensure I have all of the mail settings correct so I don't have to deal with yahoo again by transferring the low e-mail sites first.

Here is what I am unsure of. ServerA used to be known as server.abc.com with abc.com and was restructured to be server.xyz.com with xyz.com. (Host files, etc). ServerB's host name is going to be one.xyz.com (not the normal server... scheme) and I want to transfer xyz.com first. Then I want to transfer a few web sites over at a time to ensure e-mail is setup correctly, etc. I might even use RackAid to verify help with e-mail.

The question is this. ServerB will be one.xyz.com and it's first site will be the transferring of the account xyz.com. How will this work? Will it force all of the mail from both servers to get route thru the other server? What do I do? Should I throttle e-mail way back and move all sites at once (not recommended because testing will be minimal) OR should I change the host name of the old server back to the original site and go from there.

Thanks,
    Frank

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

How may websites do you have and what is the total size? If the size of all the websites isn't too big, migrate all the websites at once using rsync. Once you migrate them all, immediately change the A,MX record of all the domains in the DNS zone file to point to the new server IP. That will route things to the new server and in the mean time, you can change the name servers of the domain OR if you are willing to keep the same nameservers, you can change the their IPs.

BTW, setup the new server same as the old one before migrating the accounts, i.e. set hostname, rDNS, copy php and mysql configuration etc.

Once everything is migrated, run a few scripts to make sure everything is in place, like

upcp
    mysqlup
    easyapache
    eximup
    fixeverything

3. fkatzenb

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks.

Why setup the same? I kind of want to set a fresh slate with this server in terms of rDNS and hostname to get yahoo.com off of my back. I have numerous vbulletin websites on this server and they are running it for everyone. Yahoo says I am spamming (of course I had some non-best practice setting for a while in WHM/Exim) and so they are blocking everything from me.

I will definitely copy over at least the mysql extras that I have in place however I will need to optimize again since I am going from a split function dual SATA (sql on one drive vice everything else) to a 6GB/s SAS RAID 10 setup.

Luckly I only have about 40 customers and they are already prepared to change their nameservers, so I was going to let the migration tool handle the DNS transition until each member has moved.

4. fkatzenb

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Bump

Thanks,
    Frank

5. fkatzenb

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Bump for some more help.

When someone sends mail via the server (SMTP, IMAP, etc), is it sent from server hostname in all cases?

My concern is that I only want to move sites over in packs and I don't want one server's e-mail contaminating another until I am sure that I have all mail settings correct and have had a few days to test it.

Thanks,
    Frank