The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Migration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GingaNutz, Jan 9, 2008.

1. GingaNutz

GingaNutz Member

I have a cPanel 10 server which is in dire need of new hardware, but before I proceed I have a few questions if anyone can help me :)

Can I import cPanel 10 backups in to cPanel 11?
    I plan to shut down http/mail services on the old server, run a backup, then restore everything on to the new server.

Which brings me to my second question, currently the backups are not finishing in time over night, is there a way to force cPanel to run a full backup ignoring load etc to get it finished ASAP?

The server also currently has 50k+ emails sitting in its queue which I'm not really sure on the best way to remove, I was considering wiping out anything older than two weeks but I'd have to run that past the customer first (a lot is spam bounces with no home but I don't have time to search through that many emails!)

TIA,
    Simon

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, that should not be a problem
    Sounds like a sensible idea. I'd also suggest that you stop the chkservd process so that it doesn't start them back up again ;)
    Once you've stopped httpd and exim you'll probably find the load go down anyway. IIRC, if you set WHM > Tweak Settings > The load average above the number of cpus at which logs file processing should be suspended to a nice high number then the backups shouldn't pause.

Alternatively, you could try using the WHM Migration Wizard.

Up to you, but if it's in the queue, it failed to deliver the first time at least. If it failed to deliver, it usually will keep failing until it falls off the queue. Unless you have custom queuing options enabled in exim.conf, or use smart routers or secondary MX, I'd personally blow them all away. The easiest (and least subtle) way of doing this is to:

1. Stop exim and chkservd
    2. Run:

rm -Rfv /var/spool/exim/input/* /var/spool/exim/msglog/*

But be very careful doing that.

3. GingaNutz

GingaNutz Member

Thanks for the tips :)

The only thing related to a Migration Wizard i can find is an IP one which unfortunatly doesnt help me as I intend keeping the same range on the new box, unless there's something else not in the docs!

Thanks,
    Simon