The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Move - DNS Cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by omegatng, Mar 17, 2004.

1. omegatng

omegatng Member

Aug 12, 2003
    I have 2 servers in a cluster and I want to move all of the sites over to the newer, more powerful server. I have set the TTL on the DNS records of the old server to 900s, for quick updates, as some other posts in the forums have suggested. However, I'm going to cancel that old server once I get the 58 sites copied off of it to the new one. They are both Cpanel.

I can transfer them over no problem in the cluster by simply copying them over to the new machine and syncing the dns, the newer serial no's will prevail, and the sites should be on the new server, but they will still be using nameservers of the old one.

To avoid having my customers switch nameservers, I was going to create the NS entries in the new server of the nameservers and switch the IP's of NS1 and NS2 with my domain registrar, but it won't let me do that, giving me this error:

Sorry, the nameserver already has the ip assigned to it.

So, am I going about this the right way? Can I force WHM to take this assignment, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance!