The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

server move questiosn

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2oski, May 28, 2004.

1. h2oski

h2oski Well-Known Member

server move question

I am going to be moving about 300 accounts from one cpanel server to another cpanel server in a different datacenter.

I have been thinking thru the best way to handle a move of this size and wanted to see what anyone thought of the following plan.

first the initial plan and problem:
    The standard way I would move many accounts would be to setup the new server and keep the same hostname and nameservers on the new server that was on the old. Then:
    1. use the whm move function to transfer the accounts to the new server
    2. update all dns zones on the old server to point to the ip address of the new server.
    3. let the dust settle for a couple days and make sure everything is ok
    4. update the ip addresses for the nameservers. As the changes propagate there is not issue because the dns zones on both servers point to the new ip.

Now, this method works great for 20 or 30 accounts. The problem with 300 is the time it takes for a move of that size. at 3 minutes per account that is 15 hours. why is that a problem you ask? because I do not update the dns zones untill all of the accounts have been successfully transfered. so move the account at 1am then update the dns 15 hours later, if it is a fourm site or any other kind of database driven content. any updates to the site are lost for that 15 hour time frame. make sense? (same problem for the email inbox, but you get the idea)

so, here is my proposed solution

setup the two servers to be in a dns cluster, with the changes on the new server setup to update the old server.
    so, the idea is let the cluster function update the zones one at a time for us.

so new server sets up the account -> calls the dns functions -> updates the ip address in the dns zone on the old server to point to the ip address of the new server

now, immediatly upon account transfer the site is moved and the dns on the old server is pointing to the new server. no stale content.

would it work? any thoughts??

#1 h2oski, May 28, 2004
    Last edited: May 28, 2004
  2. h2oski

h2oski Well-Known Member

^^bump^
    anyone have any thoughts?

3. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Organize your accounts, check what ips are actually in use, what accounts need dedicated ips etc. Contact everyone NOW. Tell them to forward their mail, close their boards etc. Give them 4 to 5 days to do this.

Offer to copy their accounts after the move in the above contact.

Copy all accounts over to the new location.

Change DNS a day before the first copy.

Contact everyone asking them if they want their sites to be copied again when you EXPECT the dns to update (Forecast).

I just split up 474 accounts from one server, to two new p4 servers and it was smooth.

4. Faldran

Faldran Well-Known Member

I have found if you change DNS the day before, alot of people will loose mail, as it hits the other server, and is rejected cause the account is not there.. and then you get lots of angry clients cause mail bounced.

5. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

He may have been referring to changing ttl and refresh values in DNS to something like 900 so that when zones are updated upon the ultimate move, changes take effect almost immediately.

At least, that is what I do a few days before such a move.

6. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well you have to consider that it depends on what accounts are going where. Some might stay in the same datacenter, same rack, so its just a migration and move. Changing the TTL helps the accounts going outside the datacenter.

7. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Correct. But the original post did indicate a data center change:)

8. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    h2oski may have 600 accounts total, only mentions 300 =)

9. h2oski

h2oski Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input everyone.

There are 300 accounts on the server total, this is a complete server move to a new DC.

I want this to impact the clients as little as possible.
    The goal is to simply send them an email notifying them of the move with no intervention on their part required.

I think the TTL is going to be the key to a clean move.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the specific idea of using the dns clustering to update the zones on the old server to point to the new server.