The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

server move

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adapter, May 9, 2005.

1. adapter

adapter Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi

i need to move my server on a new one, i have think to change all the Ip A entry in the dns zone so all the domain will point soon on the new server but what can i do for email? because if i change only the A record the name mail.domain.com will point on the new machine so nobody will receive email because it are on the old server

thank u for the help

2. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

Hello
    as per what i can see ... you didn't do that before and you dont seem to have the right experience however i do wish that you do have the experience to troubleshoot any problem

here is what you need to do

1-login to whm as root on your new server
    2- use mult account transfer and transfer all your clients
    1- go to your domain name control panel
    example www.myhost.com

change the namehosting entry of your name server to poin to the new ips
    ns1.myhost to point to xx.xx.xx.xx and so on

now sit back and wait till your new name server propagate and then cancel your old server
    note if a client complaints that his site data is outdated this means that it took some time for your dns to propagate so you may want to transfer his site again from your old server

they are so many ways described here to do a safe server transfer with no down time

other way i would recommend that you consult a server management company or you may PM me for any help :D

3. adapter

PartnerNOC

if i follow your step i need to wait 24 hours before that the new dns will point on a new server so all the sites that use mysql will out of data! So u need to change the A record of evry domains to point it soon (1-2 hours) on the new server!

I think that u need to read before to post ;)

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's nothing much tha you can do when migrating a server to a new IP address. You could reduce TTL's for your zone files, but most ISP's seem to ignore anything less than 24 hours. Whichever way you do it, you should always expect at least a 24 hour window where viritors and email will b going to both servers. Your only way to have an instant switch is to retain your IP address fro the old to the new server.

5. adapter

PartnerNOC

yes ok but as i have try if i change the ip in the record A of each domain it will point soon on the new server ( u can use perl -pi.bak -e "s/[oldip]/[newip]/g" *.db ) but what can i do for email?