The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Overloading...

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by oscarfish, May 10, 2010.

1. oscarfish

oscarfish Registered

My server is overloaded by the process /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -k start -DSSL owned by nobody. And this process is shown 10-15 times with different pid's. So plz help me with this.

2. ravindradhainwa

ravindradhainwa Well-Known Member

Hi,

It seems that PHP SUExec is not enabled on your server.
    I suggest you to check the "apache status" from your WHM.

It show the domain names which are using httpd service and IPs from which httpd request generated.

So, you can block the IP or null route the domain name.

3. oscarfish

oscarfish Registered

Hi Ravindra,

Thnx for the reply. Actually i even recompiled apache through easy apache with SuExec enabled. But then the load server load reached upto 8. Then i restored back to dso without SuExec. So bro can you suggest what can be the problem ?

Thnx.

4. nxweb

nxweb Active Member

Are you offering shared hosting on your server? If so, I'd suggest switching to suPHP permanently. Also, even when using suPHP the HTTPD process will still run as nobody. Only PHP scripts will suexec. The issue is related to the amount of traffic if you are getting a lot of httpd processes.

5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

A) Having multiple "httpd" processes like you posted is actually what it is supposed to do and is perfectly normal and is not a problem at all and I think you were not used to seeing the child processes and just simply went into panic a bit when there is actually no problem whatsoever.

(I could actually go into a long dissertation on that but there is plenty of posts and web articles out there already covering that topic plenty enough --- see information related to MPM and Apache child processes)

B) Going back to DSO is not recommended --- don't do it! :rolleyes:

(There is massive security and other technical complications with DSO plus you cannot arbitrarily switch back and forth between them because there is substantial operational differences as well including different permission needs for your web site files, .htaccess directives, etc)

What you told the original poster is entirely wrong ....

If the poster were showing us his PHP processes then it would suggest the possibility (maybe but not necessarily) that they did not have "suexec" enabled as you said.

However, the user was not showing us their PHP processes but rather their Apache web server processes which do in fact always run as user "nobody" irregardless of whether the server has suexec enabled or not and it also does not matter the PHP type that is in use either for this.

You are dead on target and correct on all counts so the original poster would be well advised to pay attention to your comments here.

6. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Im also having the same problem -

/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -k start -DSSL

At the moment there is 32 of these running.

Any suggestions.

7. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Yes! Try reading my previous post. :D

8. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Ok I did - And...... Iam currently rebuilding my apache - I was using DSO - This was stable and Invision Powerboard ran extremely well on this -

New apache does not function well under Vbulliten boards - I'm going to run under FastCGI - Yeah its alot faster - Less memory usuage - But then IPB boards have some caches problems with modifications.

DSO - Fine - Lots of httpd requests
    FASTcgi - Fast - Cache problems
    suPHP - Extremely slow - More stable.

Im baffled :)

9. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Gary:

Everything you just said is absolutely and completely wrong!

First, there are no issues with any release of Apache and vBulletin but from both a security and performance standpoint, you should be on Apache 2.2 series minimum so the recommendation would be Apache 2.2.15 currently.

IPB boards have absolutely NO PROBLEMS or issues with FCGI or any modifications either and in fact FCGI is the most recommended platform for vBulletin above and beyond any other.

(Somewhere around here is another thread regarding vBulletin and FCGI where I went into more detail about some of the common confusions and misconceptions where people confuse old CGI based PHP with FCGI or SuPHP and you might want to go hunt that down)

As for your PHP platform listings above ...

DSO - Extremely dangerous and also drastically limit number of users
    FASTcgi - Fastest - Absolutely **NO** cache problems whatsoever
    suPHP - Faster than DSO in this instance but with more memory used

10. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Anyway, the bottom line point in the post above is that FCGI is your best overall platform for vBulletin that will give you the best performance out of all the PHP types and the one that will give you the least problems and complications and is the most commonly used platform for vBulletin.

Where I would make an exception to the rule is if you have other sites hosting on the same server and they I would probably weigh those accordingly when deciding on a PHP platform for your forums.

11. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

#11 Spiral, May 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  12. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Guys I do appreciate all your help, Im a novice and learning, I do take all your help to heart !

I require futher information - See in WHM - I go to easyapache - And I see the following: Begin by selecting a profile to load:

what would you say ?

Then futher along: Please choose which specific PHP version(s) to build:
    I assume the very latest ?

quick edit: Let me check your link out - seems we posted at the same time.

#12 GaryT, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  13. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

No! You do not want the "latest" version! :eek:

Remember what I said about Apache version not being important?

This DOES NOT hold true for the PHP version!

PHP version 5.3 series introduced a number of non-backwards compatible changes which means many programs including also vBulletin and a lot of mods doen't work entirely right under this version series.

You will want PHP 5.2 version series with your forums.

Most recommended PHP version would be 5.2.13

14. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Thanks - I read and understand fully.

I do want to try suPHP - However as soon as I did I got a 500 internal server error on one of the websites I host.

I then changed it to CGI from the dropdown and it came on fine. I guess something is not right which is a shame.

15. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

thanks - Damn you seem to post as same time as me lol sorry.

16. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Don't do that! :rolleyes: Bad, bad, bad :D

17. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Spiral - what do you recommend then -

I host a small amount of HUNGRY websites which are IPb - They require a min of 128MB to run - so FastCGI

Ok then I do that after reading up on your posts but one thing I could not find is:

Apache suEXEC [ON] ? [OFF] ?

Also when CGI or FCGI is selected I get high things like:

[​IMG]

Please though - I CANNOT run SUsPHP - IPB hate this I even had IPB to look at some clients setup - They instantly said ask your host to change the apache as its to strict.

#17 GaryT, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  18. radeonpower

radeonpower Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm running few IPB boards using suPHP and it works fine. Just make sure all files are CHMOD 644 and dirs 755, suPHP complains if files/dirs have more privs than that.

19. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Hum - so example - what should I tell the users - If I switch they say some pages mdo not load up. Mainly there admin area - /admin/ = 755 and the index.php 644 ?

20. radeonpower

radeonpower Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They probably had some files/folders set to CHMOD 777 as the IPB installer suggests. That is however not neccessary when using suPHP.

You can navigate into each individual public_html directory and run the following.

find ./ -type f | xargs chmod 644
    find ./ -type d | xargs chmod 755

This will change privs on all files/folders inside the public_html.

Please note that I will not be held responsible for any damage this may do! :)

This is what cPanel support staff suggested to me when I switched to suPHP.