The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server performance increase, don`t know why

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chmod, Mar 31, 2006.

1. chmod

chmod Well-Known Member

I know, most people are complaining about how their server is slow or has high load etc. But I have the opposite (not that I`m complaining, just curious)

Up to the 23rd of March scripts like rootkithunter took 250 seconds to run and another perl script of mine can take 200 - 250 seconds to run these are just some amongst many and has been like that since the server went up two years ago.

From 24th March until present and still like it, rootkithunter takes 45 seconds to run, my other script completes in a little over 30 seconds and all other scripts are considerably faster. Server usage is the same.

I run the stable version of cpanel and have been looking at what may have been updated that night and can only find that glibc and nscd were updated.

Anyone else noticed a performance increase lately?

chmod

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What Os are you running? There were major steps in both RHEv3 and CentOSv4 around the dates you mentioned and that could have been responsible. It can also happen if you've had named down and are using it in /etc/resolv.conf and it was suddenly restarted (in which case double check both boxes nect to it are ticked in WHM > Service Manager).

3. chmod

chmod Well-Known Member

Hi, my O/S is RedHat 9 i686 using the 2.4.29 kernel.

Its difficult for me to tell if named was down, I do use /etc/resolv.conf and the monitor box in whm was not ticked so I wouldn`t have been informed, needless to say it now is.

Thanks for your ideas.

4. chmod

chmod Well-Known Member

again

Seems this has come back to bite me...

After much head scratching I never got to the bottom of why my server had speeded up considerably and as it was an advantage left it at that, but now after a kernel upgrade from 2.4.29 to 2.4.32 by my DC all scripts are running slow again. So I asked my DC to reboot the box into the old 2.4.29 kernel again to see if it is a kernel issue and the scripts are still slow.

It was definately linked to the kernel upgrade but its not the kernel upgrade if that makes sense :confused:

Any thoughts, ideas or tests to run on this are much appreciated as I am running out of ideas and would really appreciate any pointers.

Also if anyone out there is running rootkithunter for example on a P4 3Gb with 1Gb RAM with RedHat 9 can you post the time taken for the script to run on your server, thanks. Mine takes on average 300 seconds slow (now) and 40 seconds fast (before).

cheers

chmod

5. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

Sounds like it may have been a coincidence. Maybe the sites on the server just weren`t as busy as usual or you had a spammer on the server who took a break and went on holiday for two weeks and who is now back and sending emails again. Or maybe Cpanellogd has been disabled or something and after the reboot it was running again... That`s probably the reason why your server got faster. Because Cpanellogd wasn`t running or something.

6. moogle

moogle Well-Known Member

Maybe the new kernel let someone in and the old kernel being back isn't able to keep them out.