The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

server protection

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by timgarrett, Sep 12, 2011.

1. timgarrett

timgarrett Registered

im a bit of a novice and not really sure what is my best option? i have built a system which 80 people feed info into from a local business and report data from there on a monthly basis. Now at the weekend the server company which i host the site with crashed and i have not herd anything since.Nightmare!! i was forced to buy another server account with different company as quick as possible and reload the files, in the mean time as you can imagine my mobile was red hot with my customers ringing up complaining. i just manage to smooth my client over so they did not cancel the contract on me.

Now my question i would really love some help on is.

how do companies deal with this Type of event? Do they have 2 servers running at same time, with different providers?

Is it possible to switch over to another server provider very quickly with out having much down time, if this unlikely event was to happen again. if so how do i do this.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated, as i do not want to get my self in this position again.

Many kind regards

Tim Garrett

2. PenguinInternet

PenguinInternet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Running two servers should not normally be necessary as most companies will respond straight away to such an issue to assist you. That said, if your hosted sites are mission critical then this should be reflected in your budget for them and so you may need to load at something like a load balanced setup where you can sustain a failure of a server with no downtime to your hosted sites.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Having up-to-date backups at all times, off server, is always a good thing to have.