texnetsys

Registered
Nov 24, 2019
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I received several cycles of error emails this morning from "cPanel Monitoring" on a single server. The first, second and third emails (sent about 6 minutes apart) stated ftpd appeared to be down and then a fourth said it "recovered" and was now operational.

When I logged into WHM, there was a notification button in the upper-right which said "you must reboot the server to apply software updates" so, after clicking same, it took me to the "graceful server reboot" page and I did that. No alerts have been received since.

My complaint is that, ostensibly after WHM runs server updates, I never receive an email alert that the server needs to restart and don't see any place to do this in the ui.

Is there something I'm missing or do I have to write a script to email the results of "needs-restarting" on a schedule via cron?

jhawkins003

Jun 24, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I submitted this some time ago at Email Alert for Required Reboots - and agree it would be a practical addition!

That said, I do believe there is a script you can run that will output whether there are any outstanding 'requires reboot' issues and gives an output. I played with the idea of writing something to run it over cron, and upon a non-null response would fire an email to the admin - but I never got around to the task.

Reactions: texnetsys

texnetsys

Registered
Nov 24, 2019
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I submitted this some time ago at Email Alert for Required Reboots - and agree it would be a practical addition!

That said, I do believe there is a script you can run that will output whether there are any outstanding 'requires reboot' issues and gives an output. I played with the idea of writing something to run it over cron, and upon a non-null response would fire an email to the admin - but I never got around to the task.
Thanks for jumping in there. I have upvoted that one instead of submitting another.

Reactions: cPRex