The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server replacment/upgrade--architecture change from 32 to 64-bit. How?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jasonb3t, May 4, 2010.

1. jasonb3t

jasonb3t Member

We've got WHM running on CentOS 4.8 i386, but the hardware is older and now out of warranty. I've built the new server as CentOS 5.4 x86_64. I want to move everything from the old server to the new one--decommissioning the old server.

• What's the normal process for moving CPanel/WHM when upgrading/transitioning from one set of hardware to another?
    • Is the architecture change from 32-bit to 64-bit a big deal for integrating settings and such?
    • Can I install CPanel/WHM and perform a restore from the previous server to import the domains, users, and DNS/web/email contents?
    • Export/import?
    • Clustering and then decommission old server?

2. jasonb3t

jasonb3t Member

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Use cPanel's transfer tools if possible

The most straightforward thing to do is to leave the old server online, set up the new server, and use cPanel's built-in transfer tools. The tools will copy everything related to an account, including configuration, Web content, mail and databases. The following sections of our documentation explain the available tools:

Transfers
    Copy Multiple Accounts/Packages from Another Server

Main >> Transfers >> Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server, explained in the second link, is the preferred tool when transferring several accounts from one server to another. Use this function on the destination server, and enter the log-in information for the source server. The destination server will log into the source server via SSH and package and transfer the accounts.

If you want to change the server hardware and use the original server's IP address(es), you can use this method, putting the new server online with temporary IP addresses, then shut down the old server. Once you have shut down the old server, change the new server's main IP address in its network configuration scripts, then use Main >> IP Functions >> IP Migration Wizard to change the IP addresses for the accounts. This will change the IP addresses in the Apache configuration and DNS records. More information about this function is available here:

IP Migration Wizard

4. jasonb3t

jasonb3t Member

Awesome.

Thanks so much!