The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server setup with IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amorosso, Jan 3, 2012.

1. amorosso

amorosso Active Member

Hi everyone. I want to setup a new faster server but I'm just not sure of how to setup it.

1.. Do I need or is it better to have a separate / dedicated ip setup just for the DNS with another dedicated IP for a domain that will have a SSL.

My thoughts would be to have a dedcated IP just for the DNS

A dedicated IP for my domain that I want to use the SSL

And then a different IP for any other domain that I may want to use..

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use different IPs for different DNS as well as for the site. Since each IP is bound separately on the interface, having DNS on different IPs would ensure some small bit of failover. This is because you might have one IP down and the other IP up for the nameservers, and by using two IPs for the nameservers, you would then have one of the nameservers able to work for DNS resolving.

3. amorosso

amorosso Active Member

Thank you very much.. OK now the big question. I don't feel very comfortable doing this on my server my self. Does anyone know of somebody or some company that can set up my new server the right way for me. For a fee of course. It's just very important that I don't have any down time for my main site.

I would just rather pay someone to do it right... I mean heck I've done it before, but I would like someone that really knows how to setup it up right... Thanks again... Dominick

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. amorosso

amorosso Active Member

Thats a great option. I have already contacted a few of them. Lets see what happens. Thank you so much for your help once again.

6. amorosso

amorosso Active Member

Well it sounded like a good idea. But with no return emails or calls. So I'm back on my own. Or for at least now.

Question... I would like to setup my new server now. But when it comes to the DNS I a little confused. So lets say it's all new. And I need to give it a DNS name. in the past I used something like ns2.123-acc.com and 123-acc.com is one of my domains. Is this normal or should I use something totally different ?

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it is normal to create name servers for domain names you have control over. It's actually required that you control the domain name so that you can create the name servers at the domain registrar.

Thank you.