The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Server switched off - nothing in logs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WorkinOnIt, Feb 3, 2017.

1. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Strange issue - server went down, I logged into hosting provider onapp panel, server power was off. When I restarted all was fine - but there is nothing in any of the logs.

Using
    • CLOUDLINUX 6.8 x86_64 kvm
    • WHM 60.0 (build 36)

Any thoughts on what could have caused the VPS to simply turn off ?

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I think it could be a hard reboot or something just like power fails and system is off. Check the logs in the OnApp or contact the server admin of OnApp to get more information on such event occurring..

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can review /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg for the time period just before the server turned off to see if you notice any particular messages. Otherwise, I recommend reaching out to your provider to see if it's related to a network or system issue outside of your particular server.

Thank you.

4. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks - just to update and close the thread - I finally got a response from the data center provider - a drive failure in the storage array degraded the array and locked access to the data. This lock caused the fail-over process to run and reboot customer cloud servers.

All happened in the space of about 20 minutes - and when fixed, all was good, except for one site database (a complex one) that suffered corruption and required at least 2 hours of manual repair urgh! The DB backup was too old and had not run the previous night for some reason.

In these situations, it's very interesting to analyse the recovery procedure and learn from the mistakes. the DB backup now runs several times a day.

Cheers

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to update this thread with the outcome. I've updated the thread status to SOLVED.