The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Taken offline because

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hostcp3, Jan 27, 2005.

1. hostcp3

hostcp3 Well-Known Member

Anybody heard of this type of action before.

The company that resells servers reply to our request when asking why server was offline.

" This server was unplugged due to attacking cpanel's rdate servers. "

and again an hour later

" datacenter never replied us that your server was unpluged "

Note we did not receive one single email from either the Reseller or the Datacenter.

Lucky for our clients we make full backups to another server and only finished a new backup last night, it was a matter of changing the nameserver ips and restoring the accounts and all accounts were back online within a few hours. Because enom has practically instant updates to their domains and nameservers most sites were up in minutes which was fantastic.

I won't mention the datacenter but we are cancelling the server and all I can say is good riddence to them because of the downtime experienced over the last year.

We many servers with two other DC's who give great service and would at least email us if we had a problem such as this on the server.

If cpanel could shed some light on this

" This server was unplugged due to attacking cpanel's rdate servers. "

I would be most interested, the server in question was fully firewalled and loads around 0.20 at the time it went offline, so I have no idea what they are talking about.

Thanks for listening.

2. CanadianHost

CanadianHost Member

Sounds like the datacenter is Managed.com ... I've gotten that email as well before and quickly left Managed.com (Really bad servers/service and poor business ethics)

Check out Coast Inc.

http://servers.coastinc.com

In my opinion these folks are the best in the business...

I have been with 4 datacenters over the years and I would NEVER switch to another DC after using Coast Inc.

Talk to Ethan and tell him John Marshe of Online-Solutions.org referred you. Maybe he'll give you a discount or something as a referral...

John

3. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

WTF ??????
    thats BS BS BS BS BS

4. hostcp3

Your not Wrong its just BULL.

The reseller is still trying/negotiating with the DC to get the server plugged back in after about 12 hours downtime now.

If I had not backed up the accounts to our main server yesterday and done a quick IP change of the namesevers immediately I would be totally spewing now.

What I did notice when making backups that sometimes it would run a Rdate error which is maybe what they are talking about, just because we made about 300 backups ( not 300 times, just 300 websites.) in the last 48 hours is no reason to pull the plug on it.

Server runs no IRC, Was using 100 gig or less per month have always paid on time never been DDOSed ( which is more than I can say for the DC which has been DDOSed at least 5 times in the last year and caused us downtime.)

No the server is/was not with Managed.com

We have another 6 servers with Atjeu.com and they are fantastic to say the least, great fast support and if a spammer or a problem they email us asking to handle but they don't pulling the plug on our server.

Will keep the forum updated how many hours this drags on.

5. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

God be with you
    its cpanel + DC fault
    you have to demand you rights man
    dont let somnething like this happen and you just close you mouth
    DEMAND your rights so you protect yourself and all of us from CPANEL that could agaion send false complainst about our servers and have them unplugged
    any forum leader should come here and explain to the cpanel scary sys admins why this happend because we are having servers we dont need them to be unplugged because cpanel just say by wrong that a server causing atatck
    WTF

even with 10 Mb port Xeon you cannot hurt cpanel Rdate am i correct ?

6. hostcp3

Actually you are 100% correct

God is with me and I praise him for that.

I have a young Sysadmin ( James, he is doing a great Job ) we are training at the moment and On Thursday he said

" I think you should copy all accounts off that server as backups because of the downtime in the past and you never know what they are going to do next "

So we did exactly that, only 2 hours before these idiots pulled the plug we had fresh copies of every last account on another server including the entire /var/lib/mysql and the entire mailman directory.

We are now close to 24 [ edit update 36 hours downtime, support ticket in, nothing from the reseller or datacenter ] hours of downtime on that server and we still have payment in credit, still no email from the Datacenter explaining why,

and the reseller says.

" they have not told us any more news about your server"

I have now officially cancelled the server but they are promising me to bring it back online.

Some advice Never go with a cheap provider if you value your clients, we only had that server because last year we took over a small host and his clients, the server came with it and we put up with the issues they had thinking they would end, but this last problem tells me we made the right decision.

Appreciate your words of kindness my friend.

#6 hostcp3, Jan 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  7. hostcp3

After 3 days or more not an answer from either the DC or Reseller on this issue.

I would never deal this this company again even if they offered us a free server for a year, the server was never put back online.

Advice: keep backups of all your accounts on another server.
    do not lease servers from companies which appear to be cheap.
    check WHT for Data Centers which have downtime consistantly over a period of months and even years.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forum...sc&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

Heads up!

8. fusioncroc

fusioncroc Well-Known Member

I doubt that it is cpanel's fault sounds like the dc's just made up a excuse :mad: