Server time drifted back by approximately 90 mins

akust0m

Feb 19, 2016
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

It appears that my cPanel server time drifted back by approximately 90 minutes which started causing problems for mail delivery.

I had the correct timezone set in "Server Configuration" > "Server Time".

Once I was made aware of the problem, I clicked the button "Sync Time with Time Server" and all was back to normal.

What could cause this to occur? What can I check to ensure it doesn't happen again?

twhiting9275

Sep 26, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
While this can happen on a dedicated server, this is likely a VPS, correct.
Unfortunately, if it is a vps, you likely won't be able to resolve this issue on your own due to hardware/software restrictions.
Try to run the following inside SSH as root. If it works, great. If not, you'll need to contact your provider

Code:
rdate -s rdate.cpanel.net

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Yes, as mentioned, this often happens on a VPS when the hardware node time is out of sync. Check with your hosting provider to ensure this is addressed.

Thank you.

akust0m

Feb 19, 2016
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the comments!

My VPS went through a live migration between hardware nodes, apparently a few clients noticed on certain Linux kernels that their system clock drifted after this event.

As a short term measure I set up a cron to sync the time every minute until I could restart the server at an appropriate time. Everything is okay now :)

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I'm happy to see the issue is now resolved. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.