Server Time jumped forward 12 hours.

gantz

Registered
Oct 2, 2006
france
For those with vB forums [...] you can run the following queries:

UPDATE post SET dateline = dateline - 43200 WHERE postid <= ID OF LAST AFFECTED POST and postid >= ID OF FIRST AFFECTED POST

Then you'll need to update your thread and forum counters in the vBulletin Admin CP

I post these with no guarantee that they won't blow your server up, ruin your forum, steal your girlfriend, kill your fish etc! I recommend you do a backup and do a SELECT first to make sure you're affecting the right entries the database!

Edit: You can check the times of the timestamps in the database by using this convertor; http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm
Worked fine for me using

UPDATE `vb3_post`
SET dateline = dateline - 43200
WHERE dateline > time of first bad post

Maybe 'cause I had no redfish.
Neither girlfriend that could be lost. :D

But it would really be nice to nevermore face that situation...

Gavster

Apr 3, 2002
Definitely weird

This problem seems to have cropped up amongst several of our cPanel boxes. (we have 200+)

One thing that seems to be a common denominator on our servers. All servers experiencing the problem are servers whose time zone was modified from the default install TZ (PST).

Servers that have retained the PST time zone do not appear to be affected.

borealphil

Oct 21, 2005
Same for me, one on RHLE, and another on FC.
I changed the time zone in WHM, and then sync the clock in WHM this morning when I noticed it. It worked for a couple of hours, and now I have clients complaining about it .

gecker

Registered
PartnerNOC
May 25, 2006
An initial scan of our servers show that only servers that had a timezone set differently than PST had their clocks changed by 12 hours. All servers that had a PST timezone were not affected. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Pyrix

Dec 21, 2003
We have two servers both set to GMT - only one was affected, the other was fine.

nbento

Jan 5, 2006
This also affected 4 out of 10 servers
Like I said on previous post go to the shell and execute this:

rdate -s rdate.cpanel.net

This has fixed my time issue on the servers that were affected

Now, you better start checking the clients stats, because on ALL servers that were affected by this issue the stats simply stopped working.
Still trying to figure it out why and how to get them back on track.

westhost-neil

Jun 3, 2005
UK
We also have two servers both set to GMT, one fine the other not.

There is some issues following this problem with customers receiving emails. Customers are reporting that they can't receive through Outlook but can see all the emails fine in webmail.

When they click send/receive it just says there are no messages.

Could this be that customers who have there client set to leave a copy on the server, the client receives a message from say 8pm, so all previous messages are classed as old or already recieved?

Just a guess

joshstein

Feb 23, 2003
This happened to a few of my company's servers. Any word from cPanel as to what happened and what has been done to fix/mitigate the issue?

jetsetter

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
This totally screwed up my vB boards this morning. :[ :mad: There's no way I'm going to run that query on my db's so we'll just live with a full day of crazy time posts.

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We had the same problem and it has happened before. The problem came from the cpanel timeservers, apparently it was reporting a bad time for awhile.

Perhaps in the future they will do something like check 2 timeservers, one being time.nist.gov, and then verify they are both close to the same time. That would help prevent this from happening again.

jetsetter

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
I've got a question:

Obviously this was cPanel's fault and it is out in the open that someone erred on their end. Why hasn't someone from the company come forward to apologize and offer an official workaround that users have already presented here?

They should have identified exactly what happened, when it happened before and what steps they are taking to ensure this doesn't happen again. Why haven't they done this?

BrooksBridges

Sep 2, 2004
Anyone have any suggestions on a fix for phpbb?

I've got a pretty huge forum that has hundreds of screwed up posts now, and I need to find a solution for this to get them reset and back on track.

Thanks in advance.

eagle

Jan 17, 2003
Anyone have any suggestions on a fix for phpbb?

I've got a pretty huge forum that has hundreds of screwed up posts now, and I need to find a solution for this to get them reset and back on track.

Thanks in advance.
Here also. One customer has a phpbb forum on which they cannot post anymore (next post is to soon after initial posting). Is this fixed automatically when we have caught up with the 12 hours (so that the forum time with new posts is after the last posting again)?

Alee

Registered
Nov 3, 2006
now can someone tell me, is this something that will be fixed or do i have to fix it, because I havent a clue !

Alee

Registered
Nov 3, 2006
Hi there can you give me step by step instructions on how i can do this on my vb forum 3.5.4. Where do i input that string.. and is it like this for e.g. where the red bold bits you see i input the post number? but how will my forum know which thread it is under?

UPDATE post SET dateline = dateline - 43200 WHERE postid <= ID OF LAST AFFECTED POST and postid >= ID OF FIRST AFFECTED POST

yes that would be nice . i havent the foggiest - please post step by step---- baby steps please:p from the beginning on where to start . Thanks

Alee

Registered
Nov 3, 2006
First check it with "date" to see if it is still wrong. If it is then set the time:

rdate -s time.nist.gov
date

It should now be correct

this is all chinese to me ! sorry - canyou tell me where to go to do this ? and exactly what to do. sorry i havent done a thing since my board was setup

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
now can someone tell me, is this something that will be fixed or do i have to fix it, because I havent a clue !
First check it with "date" to see if it is still wrong. If it is then set the time:

rdate -s time.nist.gov
date

It should now be correct

OS

Aug 19, 2005
vB Posts:

Then you'll need to update your thread and forum counters in the vBulletin Admin CP
Hi there can you give me step by step instructions on how i can do this on my vb forum 3.5.4. Where do i input that string.. and is it like this for e.g. where the red bold bits you see i input the post number? but how will my forum know which thread it is under?

Alee

Registered
Nov 3, 2006
can i also ask something - since this has happened my "new posts " and "todays posts " on vb is not working and some people cant post at all . Does this have to do with the time . Also the last new post showing was made around 6 am which says it was 6pm .

JimboJ40

Jul 10, 2005
Gotta say this is about the worst thing that could have happened to me... I host close to 100 large auction sites... all items added on all accounts today are all messed up... closed items have been messed up ... Total mess!