Server Time jumped forward 12 hours.

OS

Aug 19, 2005
Gotta say this is about the worst thing that could have happened to me... I host close to 100 large auction sites... all items added on all accounts today are all messed up... closed items have been messed up ... Total mess!
damn i guess the worst affected are business websites! i feel for you man.

kistler

Jan 27, 2005
This has happened the past 2-3 days to a few of our servers, first time I thought it was a fluke and now this I see that it must be going on during the update. This is the 5th issue I ran into cpanel today after the update.

nsusa

Jun 30, 2004
Colorado, USA
Would this explain email delivery problems? Messages are just not showing up in user inboxes on a server that experienced this issue.

Chris

westhost-neil

Jun 3, 2005
UK
Mail issues have been our biggest problem.

It would appear that any client that leaves a copy of the mail on the server isn't able to receive any new mail.

Webmail works fine.

I'm hoping that the above will sort itself out over the weekend.

nsusa

Jun 30, 2004
Colorado, USA
Mail issues have been our biggest problem.

It would appear that any client that leaves a copy of the mail on the server isn't able to receive any new mail.
Would you say that clears itself out once the time difference to the future has caught up?

I leave all mail during the on the server and download it in the evenings.

Chris

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Due to a recent interruption in ntp on one of our servers, some
license requests were denied inadvertantly. This may have affected server times, bulletin boards and other software that relys on system time for operation. We have implemented a monitoring
system that will pull any time server out of the rotation in case an
event such as this occurs in the future. This system will guarantee no
interruption of license requests due to this issue. We sincerely apologize
for any inconvenience this may have caused and can guarantee that our
system will prevent future occurances.

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
license requests were denied inadvertantly. This may have affected server times, bulletin boards and other software that relys on system time for operation. We have implemented a monitoring
Thanks for the update Nick, good to know you have done something to prevent it in the future.

jetsetter

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
I'll go ahead and say that this is poorly spelled and little late. This happened over 12 hours ago, you had tons of customers who were negatively affected and this is it? Why didn't someone from your customer support come out and explain the situation when it actually mattered to people?

This has been my first really negative experience with cPanel. When you screw up, you should admit it as quickly as possible and explain what you're doing to make amends. Once you realized how many vB installations were affected, you should have posted on vB's official forums with a statement.

You are the standard for lamp server administrations. Why don't you act like it? Hardware goes down, ya--it is inevitable, but this had a serious affect on some of your customer's mission critical systems. I think you should credit every customer affected by your outage with a free month of cpanel license.

timdorr

PartnerNOC
Jul 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I'll go ahead and say that this is poorly spelled and little late. This happened over 12 hours ago, you had tons of customers who were negatively affected and this is it? Why didn't someone from your customer support come out and explain the situation when it actually mattered to people?

This has been my first really negative experience with cPanel. When you screw up, you should admit it as quickly as possible and explain what you're doing to make amends. Once you realized how many vB installations were affected, you should have posted on vB's official forums with a statement.

You are the standard for lamp server administrations. Why don't you act like it? Hardware goes down, ya--it is inevitable, but this had a serious affect on some of your customer's mission critical systems. I think you should credit every customer affected by your outage with a free month of cpanel license.
I think that's a bit of an extreme statement coming from someone who is obviously overly frustrated by this. First, this isn't the place to come to announce this kind of thing. Most cPanel customers don't visit these forums, so most people aren't going to see this. It's here for those that need to know. The rest will get it through the normal support channels that we're supposed to use. They already would have told you this if you had asked there.

And they shouldn't go to the vB forums about this. What about IPB, phpBB, PunBB, SMF, or all the other forums out there? What about the other software that relies on accurate timing, like shopping carts or CMS's? Should they start going to announce those things there, too? It's a little self-centered to think they should go to just one script's site, just because you happen to be dealing with it. Plus, not everyone using vB is using cPanel. The same goes for any other script. People would start worrying about something that doesn't even affect them.

And they definitely shouldn't give us a free month of service for this. This only affected a handful of our 100+ systems running cPanel. If they started crediting for every bug in cPanel, the company would have gone bankrupt a long time ago. We've had worse problems than this over the years.

carluk

Sep 2, 2003
Jetsetter, did you submit a support ticket to Cpanel?
They're hardly the "standard" for control panels. It's also hardly good to start off with an attack on someones grammar or spelling, especially when you include some slang in your attack even if it's only one or two times.

Ali Hamad

May 22, 2005

Thank you, Nick, for the update ... I am glad that a serious action has taken place to prevent any future occurrences. However, I'm sure that you, cPanel, know how bad is spending most of our time fixing a 3rd parties softwares such as bulletin boards , Nuke, SMS s ...etc that we, as a hosting company, don't directly support. The end-users do not understand and/or will not understand that is a cPanel problem. All what they were asking is solving their problems no matter what. Nick, it was a horrible day by all its meaning, we defiantly do not want to be in a situation like this in the future.

Have a good weekend!

westhost-neil

Jun 3, 2005
UK
Email is still an issue for clients who leave there messages on the server.

The only way I can see to solve this is to delete the account in Outlook or Outlook Express and then recreate it.

Anyone know an easier way as this will be a nightmare on Monday having to go through this with afftected customers.

ripside

Jan 6, 2005
We were hit too

Yeah, we had a pretty big customer affected by this, running a forum with thousands of users who can't post, at least for another 4 hours until the time catches up.

Haven't had any complaints about mail delivery, but I've got a frustrated customer.

I knew either the time sync was off, or we'd been exposed to some sort of exploit. I'm glad its not the latter. Some sort of alert would have been nice, because it took awhile for this to become noticed, which just made the problem worse.

joeychgo

Registered
Nov 2, 2006
Chicago, IL
Understandably frustrated. As many forums as I run, I was frustrated also. But it is what it is, and hopefully is resolved.