Server Time jumped forward 12 hours.

joeychgo

Registered
Nov 2, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think that's a bit of an extreme statement coming from someone who is obviously overly frustrated by this. First, this isn't the place to come to announce this kind of thing. Most cPanel customers don't visit these forums, so most people aren't going to see this. It's here for those that need to know. The rest will get it through the normal support channels that we're supposed to use. They already would have told you this if you had asked there.

And they shouldn't go to the vB forums about this. What about IPB, phpBB, PunBB, SMF, or all the other forums out there? What about the other software that relies on accurate timing, like shopping carts or CMS's? Should they start going to announce those things there, too? It's a little self-centered to think they should go to just one script's site, just because you happen to be dealing with it. Plus, not everyone using vB is using cPanel. The same goes for any other script. People would start worrying about something that doesn't even affect them.

And they definitely shouldn't give us a free month of service for this. This only affected a handful of our 100+ systems running cPanel. If they started crediting for every bug in cPanel, the company would have gone bankrupt a long time ago. We've had worse problems than this over the years.

I agree completely.

hartzcs

Mar 12, 2005
What I'd like to know is, why the heck is cPanel of all things syncing the clock on people's servers? Shoudn't this be handled exclusively by ntpd? A 12 hour jump can be catastrophic for certain time-sensitive things. I think that this is a really BAD idea to have cPanel syncing the time like that. What is it's purpose anyway?

Last edited:

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
What I'd like to know is, why the heck is cPanel of all things syncing the clock on people's servers? Shoudn't this be handled exclusively by ntpd? A 12 hour jump can be catastrophic for certain time-sensitive things. I think that this is a really BAD idea to have cPanel syncing the time like that. What is it's purpose anyway?
ntp is a much better solution, and a ntp server cluster is already in place to replace the existing rdate system. The original reason for syncing the time is the vast number of servers with the incorrect date/time on install/reboot.