The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server transfer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dxer, Mar 8, 2012.

1. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

I will be migrating from one to another server bith running latest cPanel/WHM. But I was wondering how cPanel/WHM is performing transfer. The thing is that server disk where home partition resides is at like 90 % of disk usage. So when cPanel transferring to another server I presume is creating backup, right ? This would created adidtional disk usage . So, when transfer is in process for multiple accounts!, does cpanel creates this backup for all accounts ant then transfers them to another server or one by one. If it is one by one I presume it creates backup, transfers account , unpack account in new server and presumably delets backup on old server.

Please explain how this transfer goes having in mind this things I need to know.

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The "Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server" option transfers the selected accounts one by one. As each account is transferred, the temporary files associated with the packaged account are removed.

Thank you.

3. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks !

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Of note, if you have any large accounts, you may wish to skip those accounts during the initial transfer. After you've transferred the smaller accounts and removed them off the source machine on checking they migrated fine, you could then have more space to transfer the larger accounts. During packaging, the account can take 2-4 times more space, so that's why larger accounts might need more than the available space to move.