The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server unresponsive after restart!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoldenSalmon, Apr 19, 2012.

1. GoldenSalmon

GoldenSalmon Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was having an issue where cpanel was adding new clients to /home/external which was an external drive hooked up to that computer, nothing to do with cpanel. To fix it, I made sure cpanel was set to 'HOMEDIR /home' and it was, but it was still trying to write it there, so I removed the external drive. Then I was getting an error saying 'unable to create user, can not access /home/external/'

I figured maybe it needed to reread its configuration, so I went under basic settings and set it to default /home and saved settings, but it still didn't work, so I decided to restart the box. When the box came back up, I couldn't reach it! I quickly went to it and it seemed fine. Cpanel was running, listening on the right ports for all its services. The box was able to connect out, but nothing could connect in over http, ssh, or anything! The server did email me saying its DNS service didn't start, but that is expected as I'm running DNS elsewhere.

Now I'm at a complete loss. What was simply trying to make cpanel change its home directory has the entire box unreachable! Any ideas?

Thank you~

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Is the main drive running out of space? IIRC, cPanel will look for the drive with the most space to create new accounts when the main drive runs low on space. I might be inclined to shut that box down and put the second drive back and see if that helps it come up ok. If yes, you can work on whatever config issues you're having after.

I'm no hardware expert though, hopefully someone has a more proper answer for you here soon.

Good luck with this.

3. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As Infopro stated, cPanel will look for the drive with the most space.

Did you properly unmount the drive from the server? When I was first getting into building servers, I fried a couple systems just shutting down the system and removing the drive. I suggest reinstalling the secondary drive and see what happens.

Let me know if it boots up alright or not.

Also, is this machine hosted in a datacenter or a home based server?

4. GoldenSalmon

GoldenSalmon Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I properly unmounted the drive. I didn't do any of what I mentioned on site. It has nothing on it at all though, was simply an external drive that wasn't in use anymore. I was able to get the system back up and running again. It seems the writing complications just messed up the networking information. After the server came back up, it looks like it is now writing properly to /home. I'm not sure why restarting cpanel/etc wasn't able to make it go back to writing to /home like it had in its config. When the drive was unmounted cpanel simply gave an error stating it could not find the path do the external drive at first. After bringing the box back from the restart on site, it seems to have taken back to writing to /home though. Thanks for your help!