The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Update

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by CynProWeb, Feb 22, 2016.

1. CynProWeb

CynProWeb Member

Ok so I have a question on updating my server. Its running CentOS 6.5, and it hasn't been updated in quite a while - as in, two, maybe three years aside from the regular cpanel updates. How do I go about updating it? Should I run the Yum Update command? Will this break anything on the server?

Furthermore, I would like to update the server to the latest version of PHP. How do I go about doing this?

The server runs a number of websites, all personal and all backed up. I'd rather not loose anything but if I do, I'm prepared. My main concern is updating with Yum and having Mod Security go haywire and 404 everything.

2. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

a good ole yum -y update and reboot will do most of your updates. For PHP updates you will need to run /scripts/easyapache (do after yum) and pick an updated PHP version.

Yum and mod_sec should not be entangled. I personally cron yum -y update and read the output in my emails in the morning.

Thanks!