The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server using IonCube 4.7.5 instead of 5.4

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by intrinsic, May 31, 2015.

1. intrinsic

intrinsic Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good morning cPanel users - I can't wrap my head around this one and thought a few of you guys would know what's happening.

I have installed IonCube through easyapache and SSH using the following:
    1. /scripts/phpextensionmgr install IonCubeLoader
    1.1 created folder in /usr/local/IonCube/ with ioncube_loader_lin_5.4.so
    1.2 changed php.ini to include zend_extension = /usr/local/IonCube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.4.so
    1.3 restarted httpd

2. EasyApache/Exhaustive Options List/IonCube Loader 4.7.5 for PHP
    2.1 Recompiled Apache

So IonCube was successfully installed, however when I load ionCube on the user's account, it shows this:

ionCube Loader

Is there anyway I can get the user account, cPanel, or the server in general to use ionCube version 5.4? The latest files in EasyApache as displayed is 4.7.5.

Thanks!

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    version 4.7.5 is the latest Ion-cube loader
    your config is correct 5.4 is your php version

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Please also note that this is the only required step. The other steps you completed are unnecessary.

Thank you.

4. ioncube

ioncube Member

Hi Michael

Just in case you aren't aware, version 5.0.14 is now the latest ionCube Loader. When you posted, 5.0.7 was also the current Loader, replacing 4.7.5 back in April.

We strongly recommend the latest Loader from the series 5 Loaders as this has support for running protected files from version 9. V9 is proving very popular as it has addition of a new technique we devised for protecting code called algorithmic keys. The encrypts code and rather than having the keys hidden in the encoded files for the Loader to use, the decryption keys simply don't exist anywhere at all! This makes reverse engineering much harder because the keys aren't anywhere to be found. For the Loader to be able to decrypt code that is protected with an algorithmic key, the protected application has to be running and able to produce the necessary keys itself at runtime. Only version 5 Loaders can process code protected in this way.

Another advantage is that the V5 Loaders include support for a new service called ionCube24, which gives free intrusion protection to websites using PHP. Unlike scanners that look and warn of possible vulnerabilities but that do nothing to actually prevent any security compromise, ionCube24 actively blocks any unexpected code in real-time before it does any damage, and also alerts you in real-time. This gives protection against vulnerabilities that are not even known about yet by scanners, but that may well be known about by hackers. Other features are also being added to ionCube24 that will be useful to anyone running a website, so using Loader 5, even if not needing to run encoded files, is a good advantage.

Loader 5 is also more efficient when using ionCube24 because it caches knowledge of which files are encoded and which are not, and completely bypasses normal Loader checking for a file being encoded when it already knows that it isn't.

If there are any queries we're always available to assist in our own Helpdesk at http://ioncu.be/S

5. marketrends.net

I have ioncube installed via easyapache, however Plesk Sitebuilder is stating it can't publish because ioncube is not loaded. I ran the ioncube wizard on the clients site and it says "The ionCube Loader version 4.7.5 for PHP 5.5 is already installed but it is an old version. It is recommended that the Loader be upgraded to the latest version if possible." Is there an automated way to upgrade via cpanel?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here's a quote from a similar thread by user ioncube:

There's no automated way to update to a specific version through cPanel itself (/scripts/phpextensionmgr installs version 4.7.5). Also, ensure you are not using a custom php.ini file within the account that's referencing an older version.

Thank you.

7. econmike

econmike Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    Yes I have this issue also, using Easy apache with WHM shows Ioncube as version 4.7.5 while the Ioncube wizard script tells me I need version 5, I see no option as to how I can select the actual version of Ioncube.

Note: This appears to be the default version of Ioncube under Easy Apache with WHM 11.52.1 and not taken from a setting from a php.ini file

Why would WHM not actually select the latest encoding version of Ioncube as the default version of the loader?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can vote and add your feedback to the active feature request at:

Update IonCube to 5.x

Information on how to manually install it is quoted in my previous response to this thread.

Thank you.

9. Josh Abbott

Josh Abbott Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A new version of Easy Apache was released today, but the ionCube implementation is still broken. It should be installing version 5.0.19, but instead it's installing 4.7.5. This is not the correct version, and it will produce a fatal error when a script compiled with the current version of ionCube is installed on a cPanel server. 5.0.19 will not produce this error, and is backwards compatible with all the scripts that will run on 4.7.5.

I've seen (and voted for) the feature request, but fixing this issue shouldn't require any changes to how Easy Apache installs ionCube, it only needs to download the current version of the files from ionCube when it performs the installation.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here's the most recent update from the feature request:

There's currently no time frame available for it's implementation. The current workaround is to manually install the Ioncube loader.

Thank you.