The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Wide Statistics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LeadDogGraphics, Apr 3, 2012.

1. LeadDogGraphics

LeadDogGraphics Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have searched all over but could not find results for getting server wide statistics. If I wanted to know how many requests are being served an hour or per day, where would I find that out?

I wish to know overall web server statistics, not per domain. I currently use Apache and Varnish cache. Is there a built in function or a software to read logs to advise how many requests are being handled on my server?

2. LeadDogGraphics

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have searched for traffic monitor as well as bandwidth monitors and no luck. Any suggestions on knowing how much traffic and bandwidth flows from my server across all virtual hosts?

I only have 1 cPanel account with a about two dozen domains or so.

3. LeadDogGraphics

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    After searching a few times over for this, I have yet to find a WHM plugin or setting that will show how much bandwidth total or traffic monitoring across all accounts and virtual hosts.

I now have several cPanel accounts which are all run by myself but still would like to know server wide statistics.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not certain if this is what you are going for, but have you looked into iptraf?

About IPTraf

5. LeadDogGraphics

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the suggestion but no this not what I need. I am looking for server wide analytics. I think of Google analytics for servers instead of websites. I know there has to be a program or log scanner that will let me know how much each virtual host is being accessed from my server.

- - - Updated - - -

This Old thread is asking for the same thing. I hope in 7 years since someone has created something. I http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/server-wide-stats-45151.html

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The issue here is that Google Analytics and others use the direct site for determining the traffic patterns by placing content onto the specific site. Server-level, the only way to do this is to utilize the domlogs at /usr/local/apache/domlogs location. The server monitoring tools don't utilize the domlogs but the traffic on the ports.

I couldn't find anything that comprehensively analyses all domlogs together. Given the lack of response on your thread and a prior one, I would imagine that this possibly doesn't exist. As such, you have the choice to either create something by taking an existing stats programs such as Webalizer or AwStats and creating a unified link system to each report, or using Google Analytics to link to all the domains. If you have Google analytics, all your domains can be accessed in the one account.

Alternatively, install each domain onto its own IP and use the existing iptraf, mrtg or any of the numerous other ones that gauge data via the IP.

7. LeadDogGraphics

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the detailed response. I find it really hard to believe that I am the only server admin in the world who would like to know how many 'hits' his webserver is getting as a whole across all the domains hosted. Basicly besides looking at each dom log individually there is no other way? Wow.

I understand that difference between the dom logs vs the Google Analytics methods, I was just giving an example of the types of stats view I am looking for, but obviously not that detailed.

8. aww

aww Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can just check server-status at the start of the day and at the end and simple math with tell you apache requests/second.

You just setup a (password protected) directory with the status command in htaccess and it looks like this

Apache Status

mod_status - Apache HTTP Server

Or you can use cron to scrape/record it hourly etc. there is a mini version like this
    http://www.apache.org/server-status?auto

ConfigServer Firewall has some nice stats built in now too that will give you server-wide analysis.