The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server won't boot up again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thernes, Aug 29, 2007.

1. thernes

thernes Active Member

All of a sudden one of my servers went down yesterday and now it won't boot up again. I now have rescue mode acces, but I gotta admit that I have no idea to look for, so any and all help will be appreciated.

thanks,

T

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Not to be a smart aleck, but the thing you have to look for is what is causing it to not boot back up. You dont say how far it comes back, since you seem to have some kind of access I assume its at least loading the operating system. You would have to look at things like the message logs and any boot logs or fsck logs, but if you dont know what that means or cant get to them then your hosting or server provider would likely be the one who has to do this.

3. mtech-hosting

mtech-hosting Well-Known Member

if you have shell access type
    Code:
    dmesg | less
    and post the output. What os are you running? also navigate to /var/log and scan messages and see what that says

4. thernes

thernes Active Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Got a KVM hooked up to my server and the server actually boots up just fine. Looks like the DC are having some kind of routing problems, as I can't access the server from the outside and I can ping any sites from the server. So far, they have been unable to fix :(