The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SERVFAIL via one ISP, but not from another

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bfaber, Feb 1, 2008.

1. bfaber

bfaber Registered

Hello,

Periodically, I am unable to access faberacoustical.com through my primary internet connection, but it always seems to work from my mobile internet connection.

When the site is inaccessible through my main internet connection, running "nslookup faberacoustical.com" from the command line returns "Got SERVFAIL reply from 160.7.240.20".
    Running the same command with my mobile internet connection returns the correct IP address for the site.

I haven't been able to find anything wrong with the nameserver configuration for the site.

If anyone has any ideas, I would certainly appreciate the help.

Ben

#1 bfaber, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  2. gtgeorge

gtgeorge Well-Known Member

Sounds like a problem with your dns from your ISP connection. Might want to try setting up your dns at opendns.com for your home connection.

BTW, what ISP are you using when you have the problems?

3. bfaber

bfaber Registered

I'm on a community network (maintained by the city). I know of one other person on the same network who couldn't access the site, but the city tech support guy said he was able to access the site during a time that I was not.

I really want to understand this, since its crucial for me to be sure everyone else (everywhere) can access the site.

Thanks.

4. bfaber

bfaber Registered

George,

If I change the DNS servers in my router setup to the OpenDNS IP addresses, as you suggested, the site becomes accessible again.

Hopefully, now I have enough evidence to convince the ISP that the problem lies with their domain name server--I'm fully convinced that that's the problem (and I have suspected that for a few days, now).

Thanks!

Ben

5. gtgeorge

gtgeorge Well-Known Member

That's great! It comes in really handy to see if a DNS server is the problem or not. I have one connection that I keep OpenDns running on. It was recommended to me from a wise Veteran in another forum. :cool:

6. bfaber

bfaber Registered

One lingering question I have is, why did it seem that my site was the only one affected? I didn't have trouble accessing any other sites while mine just couldn't be found. That's still a little unsettling.

Ben