The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serving Video Files [moved]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nine, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nine

Nine Member

Serving Video Files

I am using Dreamweaver and have a small windows media player built into one of my pages. It worked on my last server, but am having problems with it on CPanel.

The media file is about 50MB and is in .mpg format. This file type is listed under System Defined MIME Types, so I don't think I have to do anything there.

Under the Apache Handlers section, It is simple enough to put .mpg under the extension section. The Handler section is another case. What do I put in there? Should this fix my problem?

Maybe I missed something in this Microsoft page.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/webserver.aspx#webserver_topic1

2. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

These are questions you should be asking your hosting provider as they are the only ones who can fix your issues.

3. Nine

Nine Member

Maybe that is true Izzee.

Is this because my hosting provider may have there own way of doing this? Is there no industry standard for streaming video? If my hosting provider does things there own "special way" maybe I won't be with them for long. I chose to pay them monthly at a higher price just so I could switch providers if I do have problems with service.

I joined this public forum so I could get answers to my petty little problems. People say that forum members should be asking their service providers because that is what they pay them for. Well, that is not what I pay mine for. I pay them for space on their server. I pay them to make sure that server is running smoothly and correctly. I do not pay them to teach me how to be a webmaster. [Not that I am far from that.] When I do contact my hosting provider I would like for it to be a good reason. Maybe my streaming video question is a good reason. I don't understand why it would be? Not yet anyway.

#3 Nine, Dec 31, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  4. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

What program? What does it do or not do? Need more information. I have used wimpyplayer without problems in several places with no modifications to Apache or anything else.

Also, what browser? Does it work in one and not the other?

5. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well here is a good reason. This forum is for cpanel license holders not end users. Therefor you need to contact the provider of the cpanel license for support

6. Nine

Nine Member

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You've already been told that this is something you should address to your web hosting provider. It has nothing to do with administering a cPanel server which is what these forums are for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.