Set mail attachment size limit?

Ed123

Registered
Mar 2, 2003
Is there a way to apply an attachment size limit to exim/smtp for 1.) outgoing mail in general, and 2.) mail sent to (cPanel-defined list) list recipients.

Problem: A customer of mine sent an e-mail w/ a 42MB (!!!) attachment to a list of 11 recipients (all recipient mailboxes on the same server), which sent qrunner into a tizzy. We finally got that straightened out and advised the customer. Later, someone else there sent 11 individual messages containing the same attachment to the same recipients.

Would like to have a situation where the server just says "no" to large attachments anyone attempts to send.

Thanks for any help.

Doctor

Apr 26, 2003
Under which section should I put "message_size_limit=?M" in exim.conf? Can I put it under ACL?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

netlook

Mar 25, 2004
Do you think it is good to set a message limit? Please write - do you have one and how big it is?

Doctor

Apr 26, 2003
Originally posted by netlook
Do you think it is good to set a message limit? Please write - do you have one and how big it is?
For me, I think it is good to have control over this as it affects server load when large messages are being sent out. I would advise setting it to 5MB.

tAzMaNiAc

Feb 16, 2003
Sachse, TX
Size Limit

I seriously hope you don't have any customers affected. I would think 50MB is a more reasonable limit.

Originally posted by Doctor
For me, I think it is good to have control over this as it affects server load when large messages are being sent out. I would advise setting it to 5MB.

goodmove

May 12, 2003
Under which heading in exim.conf is message_size_limit? Do we need to add it manually?