Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Set skip-name-resolve=1 in my.cnf

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by Jesse Distad, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Jesse Distad

Jesse Distad Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm in the process of optimizing mysql on a new server and one of the recommendations is to set skip-name-resolve=1

I have read in multiple places that doing so has caused issues on cPanel servers but those reports are not all that current, I'd like a definitive answer if this can be done without issue. I currently have bind_address set to 127.0.0.1

Will setting skip-name-resolve=1 affect accounts that have localhost set for their database connection?

thanks in advance

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It does not break localhost connections.

I have seen errors in the backup logs with this on though but I do not believe it's actually affecting backups. But to be Frank I have not experimented much on it.

Cpanel official might have more info.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jesse Distad

Jesse Distad Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the feedback.. Maybe there will be someone by to reply now that the weekend is over, eventually, hopefully :D

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Skip name resolve can cause issues on cPanel servers and the benefit isn't necessarily notable. The backup errors I've not seen but we do recommend adding this to the MySQL configuration at your own discretion, it's not recommended.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...