Set skip-name-resolve=1 in my.cnf

Jesse Distad

Mar 23, 2019
MN, USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm in the process of optimizing mysql on a new server and one of the recommendations is to set skip-name-resolve=1

I have read in multiple places that doing so has caused issues on cPanel servers but those reports are not all that current, I'd like a definitive answer if this can be done without issue. I currently have bind_address set to 127.0.0.1

Will setting skip-name-resolve=1 affect accounts that have localhost set for their database connection?

thanks in advance

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
It does not break localhost connections.

I have seen errors in the backup logs with this on though but I do not believe it's actually affecting backups. But to be Frank I have not experimented much on it.

Cpanel official might have more info.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Skip name resolve can cause issues on cPanel servers and the benefit isn't necessarily notable. The backup errors I've not seen but we do recommend adding this to the MySQL configuration at your own discretion, it's not recommended.

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
I have logs (and a ticket) where a full account restores will not happen correctly. There has been a feature request for almost 2 years on changing this but it hasn't been implemented.

Skip Name Resolve disabled does cause quite a bit of overhead on MySQL. That's resources better served to load pages faster.