The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

set_mysql_password in postwwwacctuser fails

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by tgv, Aug 30, 2016.

1. tgv

tgv Member

Hi there,

So I'm refactoring my old trusty postwwwacctuser bash script, part of which creates a database user with strong password and adds its credentials to .my.cnf -- basically for later use with the famous automysqlbackup script.

Now, instead of creating a new user, I started trying to update the default MySQL user for an account with the new password.

All excited about the new(ish) WHM API, I was trying to update the password doing it this way:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

CPUSER=$1
    DBUSER=${CPUSER}
    DBPASS=$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9' | head -c 16)
    CNF=/home/${CPUSER}/.my.cnf

#https://confluence2.cpanel.net/display/SDK/WHM+API+1+Functions+-+set_mysql_password
    whmapi1 set_mysql_password user=${DBUSER} password=${DBPASS} cpuser=${CPUSER}
    The problem is with the cpuser parameter:

- if it's the newly created account user then error looks like
    - if it's root,
    Both messages do not make any sense to me.

So my questions are:
    - why interactive "SQL Services > Change MySQL User Password" feature works and API call doesn't?
    - what's wrong with the default MySQL user? should I leave it alone? why?

2. cPanelBenny

cPanelBenny Community Manager, Development, dog scratcher
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There's definitely something wrong with our documentation on that whmapi call, so I've submitted an internal case to get that clarified and updated. In the meantime: I do something similar in a script that I use for setting up a server for testing. For my uses, the uapi is better than trying to use the WHMAPI. Maybe that will work for you?

uapi --user=$cPanelUser Mysql create_database name=$cPaneluser_db1
    uapi --user=$cPanelUser Mysql create_user name=$cPanelUser_user1 password=$password
    uapi --user=$cPanelUser Mysql set_privileges_on_database user=$cPanelUser_user1 database=$cPanelUser_db1 privileges=DELETE,UPDATE,CREATE,ALTER

3. tgv

tgv Member

Thanks Benny,

Unfortunately uapi doesn't work either when I try to do things with the default user, similar error messages.

Just to clarify, the original idea was to create a user with access to all account databases (before they exist!) to facilitate daily backups. We do that because it's convenient to have a pile of database dumps aside of huge account archives.

At first I was auto-creating a user with access to accountname\_% and it kinda worked fine except cPanel interface didn't know how to deal with these users and I had a huge pain mass-migrating accounts. That was years ago, can I ask -- do cPanel GUI, API, migration script etc. support wildcard database names now, in 2016?

Then I wanted to make use of the invisible and barely documented default MySQL user, which has access to every database already. The only issue is feeding credentials to the backup script: it can parse .my.cfg file all right but I'm not comfortable leaving account password there, and wanted to change the password to a different one. Still not terribly secure but much better. Apparently this doesn't work through API.

I'm wondering if there's a way for the automysqlbackup script to pick credentials the way phpmyadmin does, is it documented anywhere?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I don't recommend using a wildcard for database names, however you may find this script helpful for assigning ownership of a database or database username to a cPanel account:

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbmaptool

It's documented at:

The dbmaptool script - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

This thread may also help:

Creating DB, USER, GRANTS and map to an account via SSH

Thank you.

5. tgv

tgv Member

Thanks Michael,

I've been using dbmaptool previously in my script, just wanted to move on from it.

Sorry I don't know how to express it any clearer: I don't want to create new users, I just want to modify the existing, default one.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator