The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting 2 servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chadi, May 14, 2004.

1. chadi

chadi BANNED

I have 2 servers with 2 seperate providers. One my first main server I have my ns1 and ns2 setup. Now, I want to use the same nameservers on the second server so I enabled clustering on both servers and got the remote access key from the 2nd to the 1st.

Do I have to do anything else? The cluster is set to standalone. I did "all" for dns synchronization. Now, the problem is that I tried a website of my mine (blank) that is already been set to the nameservers...and created the account on the new server (2nd server) and it does not show the directory listings (like it normally would before new content is uploaded). Also, in whm on the 2nd server i did not setup the nameservers thinking it is "synchronized" from the first server.

Basic thing: second server must be completely dedicated for one client only so i don't want to use it as "extra space" for the main server but still using the nameservers as the main one uses. Please help :)

2. chadi

chadi BANNED

can someone please help

3. MetalAges

MetalAges Member

I am encountering the same scenario and was wondering if what he posted can be done with the clustering function? (name server names work across both).

4. ccccanada

ccccanada Well-Known Member

yes the clustering function will work fine but you need to do it right.

1. on the old server set the TTL to 900 in the DNS setings of the domain that should be transfered.

2. wait at least 24 hours before transfer and dont go to the domain to be transfered until after everything is finished.

3. on the new server you should firsd set up the two nameservers same as the old server under "Edit Setup".

4. then you enable clustering on the new server and set it to synchronize changes.

5. now transfer the domain and the new server will automatically set up the dns on the old server.

6. change clustering back to "standalone"

7. terminate the account from the old server but keep DNS zone.

8. test domain on the new server