The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting bandwidth alert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cerastes, Apr 4, 2010.

1. cerastes

cerastes BANNED

Hello!

Is there a way with cpanel where i can setup an email alert if my monthly bandwidth exceeds a specific amount of MB ?

thank you!

2. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    No, but you can setup cPanel to email you when you approach a certain % of your bandwidth limit. You do that in cPanel > Update Contact Info

Your host (or you if you have access to WHM) sets up the % levels at which these emails go out in WHM > Tweak Settings

3. cerastes

cerastes BANNED

Thanks for your reply, i dont see WHM anywhere in cPanel > Update Contact Info so i am guessing i don't have access?

My bandwidth is supposed to be unlimited but i have 5 addon domains to my primary account and i am a bit worried that my unlimited bandwidth is not going to be so ''unlimited'' if i start to get a lot of traffic with 5 domains.

I don't know how much bandwidth is allowed in a shared hosting plan (even though they say it's unlimited)

4. myusername

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If you dont see that icon, then double check and type "contact" into the jump menu on the left hand side of the cPanel main page. It may come up in case you missed it.

If you still dont see it, your host has it disabled.

If your available bandwidth is set to the infinity symbol on the left hand column of cPanel, then cPanel would never email you anyways since there is no limit, then there is no % of exceeding that limit.

If you are on an unlimited bandwidth plan, you don't have to worry about ever using the bandwidth you were sold. You host will kick you off of that package or server for 100 other reasons if your site(s) ever become active. I could explain all about why unlimited is not really unlimited but that topic is a dead horse and I suppose off topic of your original request.

5. myusername

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Not reading the Terms of Service would be your fault, you are correct :)

If you are just hoping your host does not notice, well, I would not play that game if the site is important to you. Many hosts wont notify you if you break the service agreement and run content that you are not supposed to.

In other words, you should find a plan that supports what you need either there or with another host. Sure you can wait and see, they may never notice, but like you said, if you start using a lot of transfer you will be easily flagged and suspended.

6. cerastes

cerastes BANNED

I typed ''contact'' and got ''No Matches''

This is my current bandwidth displayed on the left column
    Monthly Bandwidth Transfer 644.63 / ∞ MB

I know that there is no unlimited bandwidth, but at least they can give me a warning! i hate to log on to one of my websites one day and realize that it is down...

btw my hosting company is JustHost. Also in one of my website there is a few mp3 streaming songs and the users can download them as well, after contacting them they said that this is not allowed. I guess its my fault not having checked their terms of use more carefully but this website has already finished, and i was hoping not to take any action at the moment and just let it be...

7. myusername

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Crossing your fingers is not the best way to keep your clients I am afraid. But good luck.

8. cerastes

cerastes BANNED

Thanks for your comments!

And the problem is that its a clients website... :)

i cross my fingers and hope for the best...

9. cerastes

cerastes BANNED

I know what you are thinking but its a long story...

thank you for your time much appreciated!