The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting File Permissions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Keys88, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Keys88

Keys88 Member

Is there a simple way to make all directories non-accessible (to site viewers), and all files accessible?

At a hosting site I'm now using that doesn't have cPanel, this is set as a single attribute for everything in an entire domain/subdomain. This is handy since showing files and not showing directories seems so basic.

I'm a beginner and will appreciate any guidance with this whole question. I don't fully understand the File Permissions options -- User, Group, World; Read, Write, Execute. Must this be set manually for each file?

What I want to do is simply make my site files viewable and my directories non-viewable.

Also: Are there relative advantages of File Manager and Legacy File Manager? Are they simply two skins of the same functionality?

Thank you.

2. Potato

Potato Active Member

You could use directory index in your cpanel and select no indexing, this would allow no one to see directories that do not have an index in them. If you want everything blocked I would suggest a password protected directory on the public_html directory

For file permissions here is a great tut over it How to change permissions (chmod) of a file « HostGator.com Support Portal

3. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. linuxbabu

linuxbabu Registered

You say the account is not a cPanel account. So its difficult to say which file manager is better unless you see it.