The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting ns and ns2 as the same IP address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EMS, May 22, 2003.

1. EMS

EMS BANNED

I want to use one server IP address as both ns servers for the domains hosted on it.

I have been told it is possible to do this and have performed the following actions...

1. created A entries for ns and ns2.mydomain.com with the registrar
    2. changed the WHM "edit setup"config to use these as primary and secondary addreses.
    3. modified resolver config so it points to 127.0.0.1 as primary resolver and the server I.P as secondary resolver
    4. Tried to use "manage nameserver IP's" to add ns and ns2 with same address.

The problem I have now is that in "manage nameserver IP's" it will only allow for ns.mydomain.com - if I try to add another it tells me I am out if IP's

Secondly - when attempting to change the main domain at the registrar to point to ns and ns2.mydomain.com it errors and says that ns2 does not exist.

Do I actually need 2 I.P addresses really ?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

Having 2 name servers on the same ip is completly pointless, yes it can be done, but whats the point?

3. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

Well you could try running cpanel off a broadband or cable connection with one IP :D

4. EMS

EMS BANNED

Firstly - if you are not going to post something constructive - please get lost. I dont have time to read your crap.

Secondly - in answer as to why I would want to do this - it is temporary until I get another network card in the server.

Yes im using the same box for its own nameservers - many people do this.

Please restrict answers to this post to actual answers and not questions or sarcastic comments.