The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Server Hostname on New Installation Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prateekvarma, Oct 13, 2015.

1. prateekvarma

prateekvarma Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,
    Sorry for the annoying title, but as a newbie, and trying "THE MOST POPULAR" control panel in the world, i expected a bit more.
    There is some serious mess with the hostname in my installation. I have gone through so many articles, blogs and forums about the right steps..and nowhere is a simple and step by step explanation of just how to install it correctly.

I installed cpanel as it was instructed on the guide that came along with it. It installed correctly, but when i type the domain name, it does not open. When i type the IP address, it directs me to something crazy.

I'm a website developer, and not a system administrator. But i do know the basics. My question is - "Why can't the biggest Control Panel provider in the world make a simple step to step installation guide for beginners?". Jees guys, come on man...

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you provide some more details on what in particular is not functioning? To clarify, did you create an account after the installation completed?

Thank you.

3. cPanelJenn

cPanelJenn Documentation Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    in addition to the information Michael requested, could you point me to the documentation you used? I sent you a message with my email, feel free to email me with the info.
    We certainly want to make sure we are providing documentation that you can actually use!
    Thank you!
    Jenn

4. prateekvarma

prateekvarma Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello, i followed the link for the 15 day trial from your website. The installation went fine, but after i login to the WHM, there was a step-by-step wizard and i think i filled in some wrong information. I think it was something about the FQDN and the hostname or something. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong, because i'm not aware.

SO, i deleted my Vultr VPS, and recreated another one. And reinstalled cpanel again. This time i did not do the WHM wizard... and today morning when i wanted to have a shot again, i cant seem to access my link (IPADDRESS:2087) either.

I'm sure this procedure is common for all installations, and i'd appreciate if there can be a tutorial for it.
    Thanks

5. prateekvarma

prateekvarma Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, tried to message you back but it gave me an error that my message is spam - i'll paste the message here.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, thank you for contacting.
    If i may suggest, the idea for documentation must be made in a way that the most common user should be able to understand (i'm a developer btw). It has to be like an iteration tree, from step 1 (sub-options leading from step 1 to other) to following steps.

The step "after" a successful installation is missing, specifically the setup wizard part of WHM which comes immediately after the install.

And furthermore, there is some confusion about the domain name, hostname, ip address, etc.. which i as a user cannot set properly, and there is no "precise" information about how to set it.

It's very important to have a good documentation.

6. cPanelJenn

cPanelJenn Documentation Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  7. prateekvarma

prateekvarma Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello, yes i went through that part. But i don't clearly understand what to fill in this section

Initial Setup Wizard - Setup Networking - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

I dont' get this part ->
    "The hostname must be a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). FQDNs are domain names that specify an exact location, from the top level user domain to the root domain, when you read them from right to left. This hostname must use the subdomain.domain.extension format. For example, for the server account on the domain example.com, enter server.example.com as the hostname."

what is server in "server.example.com" . Is this the hostname value that we get when tryping "hostname" on your linux?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    "Server" is simply an example. It's asking you what you prefer as your server's hostname. It could be "server.domain.com" or "anything.domain.com". Right, what you configure here is what is output when you type "hostname" from the command line.

Thank you.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you notice any error messages when you restart cPanel from the command line? EX:

Code:
    service cpanel restart
    Also, check to ensure you have no firewall rules blocking port 2087. A third-party firewall management utility such as CSF may help:

ConfigServer Security & Firewall

Thank you.

10. prateekvarma

prateekvarma Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,
    No there was no Firewalls on my server. I didn't restart cPanel either. But i was not able to access using my domain name or the ipaddress. I'm destrying, recreating another server, and reinstalling cPanel for the 3rd time as i type :(

11. prateekvarma

prateekvarma Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok, so for the third time. It's asking for a FQDN, and it's not accepting "mydomain.com", it wants some subdomain to be prefixed, which i don't have. What to do?
    P.S - my domain is same as my server's hostname

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To verify, do you control the domain name you plan to use? If so, simply enter "server.yourdomain.com". You don't have to register subdomains, as you can simply add DNS entries to a domain name you control.

Thank you.

13. prateekvarma

prateekvarma Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,
    I contacted my provider - DigitalOcean, and they were kind enough to give me the exact setting which actually worked.
    cPanel does not allow a simple "domain.com" format as the FQDN. I had to rename my hostname to "subdomain.domain.com", and it works now. Though i don't understand why would this be required - but all's well if it works.
    Cheers

14. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's to avoid conflicts for administrators that plan to create new accounts with that same domain name. The hostname can not match a domain name associated with an account or Apache VirtualHost conflicts (just one example) will arise.

Thank you.

15. prateekvarma

prateekvarma Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok, thanks for clarifying!