The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting SOA serial format

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kjg, Oct 30, 2010.

1. kjg

kjg Well-Known Member

Hi
    After having spent an hour searching I have no choise but to pop the question on the forum.
    It will make me look more stupid than usual, but I have no choise ...

Where do I change the format for SOA serial numbers in WHM?

I changed it a week ago on a test server, and now I can't find where the setting is when I am to change it back ...

Please be gentle, I've worked too long hours the last couple of days and my brain is in zombie or defunct mode at moment ...

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could change the SOA in WHM > DNS Functions > Edit DNS Zone area after highlighting a domain and clicking to Edit, you'll then see a series of fields. The SOA is the Serial Number field toward the top.

Also, I'm uncertain about the changing it back part. The SOA increments forward by date. If you are making changes to the zone, you'd want the current date like today is 2010103001 where 2010 is the year, 10 is the month, 30 is the day and 01 is the first time editing the DNS zone today.

If you are instead talking about the Time to Live settings (TTL), those are right below the Serial Number (SOA) field in WHM > DNS Functions > Edit DNS Zone area for the following fields:

Refresh
    Retry
    Expire
    Minimum TTL

Thanks!

3. kjg

kjg Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, but my issue was the general setting. The format for the SOA serial.

There was a setting I could choose if the serial number was to be based on date or if is should be just a serial.

That is what I am looking for.

// kjg