The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting standalone nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by yckelvin, Dec 4, 2015.

1. yckelvin

yckelvin Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am new to cPanel/WHM, I have similar case as the thread addon domains error message: "the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not" but I have no idea where I should add the nameserver setting, from cPanel or WHM?

I have a new domain say newdomain.com and new VM with hostname say newVM.

I have an existing nameserver say ns1.existns.net, ns2.exisnst.net

I register the newdomain.com from the registrar and point the nameserver of this domain to ns1.existns.net and ns2.existns.net, ip of newdomain.com is pointed to the ip of newVM.

On newVM, I create a new cPanel with primary domain as newdomain.com, I setup the Basic cPanel & WHM Setup -> Nameservers with ns3.exsitns.net and ns4.exsitns.net which both ip are pointed back to its newVM ip, of course I do add the A record for ns3 and ns4 on exsitns.net

I click into the Advanced Zone Editor, I found the A record of newdomain.com is pointed newVM ip address and CNAME record of ftp.newdomain.com is pointed to newdomain.com

Now when I nslookup the ip of ftp.newdomain.com from outsider, it is pointed to ip of ns1.existns.net and I cannot able to resolve the ip of ftp to newdomain.com ip

What's wrong I did on the setting? If I want to have the newdomain.com to be a standalone nameserver and all new coming addon domain created on this cPanel can be propagated, I don't want to update the coming addon domain on existns.net.

Here is the summary of the setting.
    existns.net

> nameserver ns1.existns.net, ns2.existns.net
    > DNS setting ns3.existns.net, ns4.existns.net, newdomain.com (point to newdomain.com ip)

newdomain.com (primary domain on newVM)
    > nameserver ns3.existns.net, ns4.existns.net

I would appreciated if anyone can help the newbie like me.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I suggest using a third-party website such as IntoDNS to verify which name servers are configured for the domain name you are attempting to add in cPanel. Ensure the name servers it's assigned resolve to IP addresses associated with the cPanel server.

Thank you.