The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by zamrg, Oct 26, 2010.

1. zamrg

zamrg Active Member

I currently have a cluster setup where by I have 1 web server aka ns1 (acts as a ns too) and 1 dns only server (ns2). The dns only (ns2) server is synchronised from the web server (ns1).

I've just added another web server and I'd like this webserver to add all NS records to ns1 and have that replicated on ns2. ie: I don't want this new web server to make use of BIND at all.

I'm not quite sure how to set this up in the cluster settings and would appreciate any help.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Simply go to WHM > Configure Cluster on the new web server, add ns1 and ns2 for the cluster, set both to Synchronize Changes.

After that, then go to ns1 and ns2 servers to WHM > Configure Cluster and add the web server there. Select standalone for the type for the web server.

This then will push the zones from the web server to ns1 and ns2 whenever they are added, while the zones will stay on ns1 and ns2 once they receive them.

I do not suggest having ns2 sync off ns1 for the web server as it's better to have the above type of relationship where you have the web server syncing directly to both ns1 and ns2 at the same time.

After doing this, you would then want to go to WHM > DNS Functions > Synchronize DNS Records and "synchronize all zones to all servers" to get the zones onto the nameservers.

3. zamrg

zamrg Active Member

thanks, the setup now looks like this; would this be correct?

ns1/web1
    -----
    web2 - standalone
    ns2 - sync

ns2
    -----
    ns1/web1 - standalone
    web2 - standalone

web2
    -----
    ns1/web1 - sync
    ns2 - sync

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right, you have the correct configuration for the various servers in the cluster.