The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up a dedicated mailserver

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by 10101, Feb 25, 2005.

1. 10101

10101 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2003

Does anyone here know if it's possible to setup a dedicated mail server to be used in with cpanel servers? If so, do you know of any good how-to's for this ;)
  2. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2004
    cPanel doesn't have any clustering abilities as such, to make adding a mail server a control panel task, but you can manually set this up if you wanted to.

Just setup mail accounts on a dedicated mail server, remove the local mail for each domain on your cpanel server and setup their MX record to point to your dedicated mail server.
    You will break quite a bit of cpanel control panel functionality etc but if that is what you want, it can be done.

I can see cPanel having to make some headway with clustering of services etc - there is becoming more demand for this kind of setup as hosts 'grow up' so to speak and need to provide more redundant services.
    I didn't mean that in a detremental way, just a comment, maybe valid, I think so anyway.

I do and would use debian, postfix and courier imap/pop, sasl and mysql for holding the email addies and auth data, as coding the client ability to add new emails etc via a web interface is easier and the server will hold many thousands of email accounts - what did you have in mind?