The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a Relay

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by GoWilkes, Oct 10, 2011.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm trying to get the emails from one server to be delivered to a second server. The DNS configuration is simple enough:

mydomain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.mydomain.com.
    mail 14400 IN A x.x.x.x (IP of the new server)

The domain name still points to the old server, but once everything is working then I'll change the domain. I just want to make sure that I still get emails sent from people whose internet provider is slow to recognize the change.

The new server WAS rejecting the emails, but I think that I've corrected this by adding the old server's IP to the "Trusted SMTP IPs" under "Exim Configuration". At least, an email sent from Gmail to an account went to the new server, so I THINK it worked.

Now, the question is, how do I get all of the accounts set up in Outlook or Thunderbird to recognize the new IP? Meaning, if this is set up:

POP3: mail.mydomain.com
    SMTP: mail.mydomain.com

How do I make it recognize that it should be pinging the new server, instead of the old? Or is this just a TTL thing, and it will automatically start working within the next 14400 seconds?

2. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Solution:

For those doing this in the future, on the new server, go to "Configure Remote Service IPs" in WHM (under IP Functions), and add the IP of the old server to the "remote mail server IP list". This seemed to make it work immediately.

I also added the new server's IP to the same location on the old server's WHM. I don't think that matters, but maybe.