The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a cert on a different server form

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by onaweb, Jun 2, 2006.

1. onaweb

onaweb Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2004
    I have searched this forum and haven't found an answer to the exact question that I have so I apologize if this has been covered before, but I could not find it.

My question is this:
    I have been running one server, we are in the process of migrating half those sites off to a new server as the server load is getting a little high.

I have a shared cert set up on server1 as, I would like to setup a shared cert on server2 as although the domain will still reside on server1.

Before I go through the process of purchasing a cert, I'd like to know if this is possible. So what I'd like to do is install a cert for a domain that is not on the server. I do have the hostname set up as with a DNS entry on server1 that points to the IP of server2 and that works just fine. Or do I need to buy another domain for each server that I have to set a secure cert?

Thank you,
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    No, that should work fine. All you have to do, as you've probably done, is add an A record for secure2 to the zone and point it to the IP address of the second server. On the second server you need to generate the CSR for