The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a VPS Hostname ( + Cloudflare Nameservers )

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by E Gibson, Mar 26, 2014.

1. E Gibson

E Gibson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hey everyone,

I'm hoping for some advice / help please;

I've picked up a nice deal on a VPS and I'm looking to learn how to setup / protect and work a server. I'm not content with shared hosting anymore and also thirst for tech knowledge!

So my VPS provider have given me an ip and a defualt 'server1.vps.myhost.com' hostname for the server.

I have a domain registered elsewhere, however it is sitting on Cloudflare's network. I ran through a setup of WHM / CPanel and updated the nameservers to reflect the designated Cloudflare NS's and also set my hostname as server1.mydomain.com.

I then created an A entry in Cloudflare for server1.mydomain.com pointed to my sever IP (I'm not sure if this is correct...)

I'm not at a point then when I visit mydomain.com I hit my site, protected by Cloudflare, however should I visit mydomain.com:2087 I am redirected to server1.vps.myhost.com:2087. The same for CPanel.

I've ssh'd in and checked my /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts files are showing server1.mydomain.com. sudo hostname also returns my correct hostname.

For some reason however I keep seeing the vps.myhost address - I don't want any record of server1.vps.myhost.com as this can be run against a simple look up to query the server IP.

Can anyone provide some assistance on the steps I need to take or a possible reason this hasn't changed?

Thanks in advance for any / all comments.

- - - Updated - - -

"I'm not at a point then when I visit mydomain.com I hit my site, protected by Cloudflare, however should I visit mydomain.com:2087 I am redirected to server1.vps.myhost.com:2087. The same for CPanel."

^^ This should read "I'm NOW at a point...."

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might like to know about the Redirection settings in WHM:
    WHm » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings, Redirection tab.