The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up DNS Cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by W_Hosting, Apr 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. W_Hosting

W_Hosting Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    At the moment I have four nameservers.

ns1 -> One of my cPanel servers that also hosts customers sites
    ns2 -> One of my cPanel servers that also hosts customers sites
    ns3 -> BuddyNS server
    ns4 -> BuddyNS server

Currently, I have BuddyNS cPanel plugin set up on the two cPanel servers that host ns1 and ns2.
    I am beginning to think this is not ideal, I have four VPS that all use the same nameservers. Should I use all 4 (ns1, ns2, ns3, ns4) to point to the BuddyNS servers to reduce load on my servers. Then have one 'master' name server on my DNS cluster which just that one master syncing to BuddyNS?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I'm not sure you will see much load reduction unless you are hosting thousands of zones. As far as redundancy, if one of the name servers fail, then the other three should continue to handle the DNS for the domain names. Directly linking a hosting server to a name server is recommended, as referenced in this document:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.